Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Windows and Doors

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-15-2013, 10:37 PM   #1

Share |

garage door lube. Lithium vs silicone

Some say use lithium. Some say silicone lube.

I already have Blaster lithium spray for home exercise equipment, but it seems to leave a yellow gunky mess.

Even Blaster makes a garage door lube that is made from silicone.
But again, some pro garage installers recomment lithium.

So which is it.........

pman6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 08:44 AM   #2
Exterior Construction

Either will work.

I use lithium on my chain but just clean it well before either application.

Windows on Wash is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 10:21 AM   #3
JOATMON

Both will attract and hold dust and dirt....do as Windows On Wash does....clean it real well before putting on more.

I keep hoping my screw drive will die so I can install a Liftmaster 3800...it mounts on the wall and connects directly to the torsion bar.

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
ddawg16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 10:25 AM   #4

I use lithium on the bearings if you have steel rollers. Just a little squirt around the shaft of each. I also give the area of each hinge a squirt where the two halves rub together. Put a rag up next to it so you don't make a mess. That normally gets rid of the squeaks and creaks. Chains on most openers don't need anything unless you have a really damp garage and the chain shows signs of rust. If you have torsion springs, put a piece of cardboard behind them, one at a time and spray with any kind of lightweight oil. WD40 doesn't seem to stay around too long. Just trying to keep the springs from rusting.
Mike Hawkins
firehawkmph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 10:35 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddawg16 View Post
Both will attract and hold dust and dirt....do as Windows On Wash does....clean it real well before putting on more.

I keep hoping my screw drive will die so I can install a Liftmaster 3800...it mounts on the wall and connects directly to the torsion bar.
DDawg,
I have a 3800 on one of my five doors. Only because it has high lift track which follows up a sloped ceiling. It does work well, but I wouldn't put one on a traditional door installation where the top track is horizontal. Liftmaster's Elite series belt drive is my choice for normal installs. The 3800's cost me almost twice as much as the Elite's. If you go to use it on a door that is in a horizontal resting position when up, you need to install some pusher spring plungers on the rails behind the top section of the door so when the door is up, it compresses the plungers. When the 3800 starts to turn the shaft for the door to go down, the plungers give the door a little push to get it moving and then the weight of the door going down takes over, keeping tension on the cables. Without the plungers, the shaft would start turning, the door wouldn't move, and your cables would just unwind.
Mike Hawkins
The Following User Says Thank You to firehawkmph For This Useful Post:
ddawg16 (06-16-2013)
Old 06-16-2013, 12:40 PM   #6
Exterior Construction

Quote:
Originally Posted by firehawkmph View Post
DDawg,
I have a 3800 on one of my five doors. Only because it has high lift track which follows up a sloped ceiling. It does work well, but I wouldn't put one on a traditional door installation where the top track is horizontal. Liftmaster's Elite series belt drive is my choice for normal installs. The 3800's cost me almost twice as much as the Elite's. If you go to use it on a door that is in a horizontal resting position when up, you need to install some pusher spring plungers on the rails behind the top section of the door so when the door is up, it compresses the plungers. When the 3800 starts to turn the shaft for the door to go down, the plungers give the door a little push to get it moving and then the weight of the door going down takes over, keeping tension on the cables. Without the plungers, the shaft would start turning, the door wouldn't move, and your cables would just unwind.
Mike Hawkins
Mike,

Have you used one of those side mount door openers before? One that mounts direction without a chain and track?
Windows on Wash is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 04:47 PM   #7

Windows,
the Liftmaster 3800 is the side mount model I was talking about in the above posts. It mounts on the end of the torsion shaft.
Mike Hawkins
Old 06-24-2013, 04:41 PM   #8

The 3800 gets high praise.....it is finicky though, mounting and adjustment of the door/rails/sensors, but high-lift or "normal" doors shouldn't matter...

http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/s...d.php?t=158641

http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=15695

Jackshaft openers are the bee's knees for gearheads who want a lift in their garages, myself included....

Chokingdogs is offline   Reply With Quote