Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Windows and Doors

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-28-2013, 10:54 AM   #1

Share |

Garage door balance problem

My garage door is 7ft high and 8ft wide. Weighs 120lbs give or take 4lbs (weighed on bathroom scale). The door and Craftsman door opener was installed in 1992. In April of this year (2013) one of the spring broke, and the plastic drive gear teeth on the opener worn out. I replaced the gear and installed a new pair of springs (code yellow for 130lbs) I bought at Home Depot.
The springs are adjusted to operate within recommended limits, 25in length with door open, and 67in maximum with door closed.
The problem is, the door failed the balance test. I disconnect it from the motor and pull it down by hand to the midway points (knee and chest heights) but the springs does not hold it stay, it goes down to the ground. Iím thinking the logical thing is to get 140lbs springs.
But I found that with the springs still connected it took 25lbs pull to lift door up. If this is a valid test, would I need stronger springs, say 150lbs.
BTW, the new drive gear I installed in April is worn out.
This brings up two other questions:
(1) Is my scale defective? I checked it out with several other weights, seem OK.
(2) Are the springs coded wrong? Donít know.

Pohomie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 01:45 PM   #2

Garage door balance problem

Tried pulling the wire tighter with the door in the up most position to see what happens?