French Doors - Bottom Seal Replacement - Windows and Doors - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Windows and Doors

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-30-2013, 09:06 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 268

French doors - bottom seal replacement

The bottom seal on my French doors is very broken apart to the point you can place your hand on the floor and actively feel air coming through - sometimes bugs make their way in too.

I think they were originally installed poorly with the house which is why it broke apart over time.

The left door holds the air seal but is never used. When I do open it, it's hard to do and you can feel the bottom seal rubbing across the bottom.

I tried replacing the seal on the right door with one from Home Depot and although it fit correctly, made the door almost I possible to open and close from the bottom dragging.

Is there a way to lower the bottom some so the seal moves nicely with the door? How can I correct this?

I can't find any brand markings on the door to contact the manufacturer with. I attached a picture of the type of seal that worked with this door. (Type that pushes up)
Attached Thumbnails
French doors - bottom seal replacement-image-721239466.jpg   French doors - bottom seal replacement-image-1854219286.jpg   French doors - bottom seal replacement-image-3459053826.jpg   French doors - bottom seal replacement-image-3279879691.jpg   French doors - bottom seal replacement-image-1503868548.jpg  

Advertisement

Last edited by adgjqetuo; 12-30-2013 at 09:12 AM.
adgjqetuo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 09:52 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 632

That's an adjustable sill.
Just back the screws out slightly and tap down lightly with a hammer and a block of wood or a rubber mallet.
Going to need a big Phillips screw driver, to small and you can strip out the head.

Advertisement

Old 12-30-2013, 09:59 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 268

Thanks - I will give that a try. I was doing the opposite and trying to tighten the screws thinking it would lower down some.