Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Windows and Doors

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-24-2014, 02:49 AM   #1

Share |
Question

French door jam crack ???

Can this be fix properly?

8 foot French doors, concrete block, outswing, top left corner of the door is crack, in and out. Builder refuses to change door, will have his 'Jack of all trades' who installed it,fix it.
Attached Images

Last edited by kwikfishron; 03-24-2014 at 06:40 AM. Reason: Rotate Picture
Tipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 08:43 AM   #2

Is this new construction in a new home?
That looks like a used door that's seen better days.
What's up with the hole drilled into it?
Who installed that weather stripping?

Old 03-24-2014, 09:23 AM   #3

Yes, new construction. That is a new ThermaTru door, sticker on side of the door. I don't think weatherstrip was installed, it came that way. That's not a hole, they drilled tapcon screws to frame/concrete block.
Old 03-24-2014, 09:37 AM   #4
Mod

The right carpenter could fix that to where you would never known that it happened but by the looks of it whoever installed that door wouldn't be that guy
Old 03-24-2014, 09:48 AM   #5

No pressure threated wood rough framing?
I see they also manage to damage the seal on the door.
Why would he not have used the empty screw hole in the hinge with a Tap-Con instead of making that huge hole.
What's up with those three other nail holes that look like they used the wrong end of the nail set and dented the wood.
Yes that can be filled and patched up but for a new door install that's totally unacceptable.
Old 03-24-2014, 11:38 AM   #6
Retired from the grind

Joe, the empty hole is for the hook on the hinge side that is attached to the door, for the hook to catch into. You would replace one of the screws in the hinge on the jamb side, with a 2 1/2" or 3" screw.

Nope, this is just shoddy work that speaks volumes for what other hidden gems are in this new house.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 03:28 PM   #7

Unfortunately it will be his 'jack of all trades' who installed the windows & the doors who will fix it. Shoddy work indeed, builder not better, he doesn't even check the work if his subs.

Can't wait to close on that house so we can plaster that builders fabulous (sarcasm) work online.
Old 03-24-2014, 04:42 PM   #8

What hook? There is no "hook" on a French door.
Old 03-24-2014, 04:46 PM   #9
Retired from the grind

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
What hook? There is no "hook" on a French door.
If you look at the hinges of that type, there is a hook on one side.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
Old 03-24-2014, 04:51 PM   #10
Retired from the grind

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tipper View Post
Unfortunately it will be his 'jack of all trades' who installed the windows & the doors who will fix it. Shoddy work indeed, builder not better, he doesn't even check the work if his subs.

Can't wait to close on that house so we can plaster that builders fabulous (sarcasm) work online.
Not a wise thing to do. At this point I would start talking to a lawyer and put a stop work order on the contractor.

I have been in a home in our local area, of someone that my wife works with. They are now going on year 15, of dealing with arbitration on their home being built by a shoddy contractor.

At this point the house should be torn down, but then the owner would lose the case.

They have cables holding the walls together, front & back doors that do not hold closed. If you stand and look at the house, it is leaning to one side. The place is a huge mess.

The contractor comes in after the court orders him to make a particular fix, and then waits until the next hearing date.

Of course I have also been involved as a neutral party, on one that the owners could not even move into it. The place was condemned by the court before the contractor even finished on it. The bank made the move on that one.
Old 03-24-2014, 07:16 PM   #11

Gregzoll, there are other defects but nothing major or that can't be fix. Windows & doors are easily replaceable. Roofer did an excellent job, so did HVAC and electric. We are always one step ahead of builder and are doing our due diligence. Having inspections done by a very reputable new construction inspector. Mighty expensive but worth every dime we have spent on him so far. He has saved us a lot of future headaches and expenses.

It sure is a learning experience to build a house!
Old 03-25-2014, 06:49 AM   #12
Exterior Construction

Have them pull the door and set a new unit.

If they inspected it and said that was "OK", that is a bigger concern.
Windows on Wash is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Windows on Wash For This Useful Post:
joecaption (03-25-2014), VAProPainter (03-26-2014)
Old 03-25-2014, 07:13 AM   #13

Easy for you to say, how about you come tell him! (no pun intended)
Old 03-25-2014, 09:35 AM   #14

I'm still trying to figure out why it looks like it was installed in the middle of a wall, instead of on the outside so it could be trimmed with brick moulding.
Even if it was in the middle that should have been a wooden frame to mount it in, not just attached to the concrete.
Old 03-25-2014, 09:52 AM   #15

I put a therma Tru french door in my house the same thing happened.. Door has been nothing but trouble. Glad it was my place and not a customers.

The door should not be installed directly to foundation wall. This will give you problem in the future. Call Therma Tru see if doing this voids warranty. If so it will give you grounds to insist it be installed right.

JustinK is offline   Reply With Quote