Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Windows and Doors

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Closed Thread

Old 03-10-2014, 02:21 PM   #1

Share |

Framing in windows and wrapping them???

Im currently doing a remodel and Im replacing the windows with new construction all vinyl Jeld Wen ones. I have the lower level windows done already and they are boxed in with cedar. I will be doing the upper level windows this spring and I like the idea of framing them in. An uncle of mine mentioned about wrapping them in aluminum... Should I still use cedar to frame around them or can I use something else? if its something else, should I replace the cedar that I have with the others???? Im going to be residing also with vinyl... Im an avid learner and willing to listen to all ideas.. thanks in advance...

Old 03-10-2014, 05:30 PM   #2

You can wrap any kind of wood with aluminum.Cedar is an added expense if you are going to wrap them .You could use SPF.I'm assuming you are talking about something like 1 x 4's?
If you wish to wrap them you will need a siding brake.These are not difficult to use but there is a learning curve and a certain way it needs to be done for them to be water tight.
Check out some videos on youtube for a better idea of what your getting into.

Old 03-10-2014, 05:38 PM   #3

If your going with vinyl you should have bought windows with built in J moulding.
Another way would be to have used wider J moulding.
Were at a lost because you have not posted any pictures of the house.
Old 03-10-2014, 06:01 PM   #4

Well if I knew how to add pictures here I would lol.... I just took a couple so if I do, I will post them... And Im in Nw Indiana btw...
Old 03-11-2014, 03:31 PM   #5
Home Performance

Good advice from Mako. Not to flame Joe, but I'm not a fan of the look of built in J. It is cheaper and looks cheaper IMO. You could look at some PVC and composite trim products however that would not require wrapping.
The Following User Says Thank You to HomeSealed For This Useful Post:
Windows on Wash (03-11-2014)
Closed Thread