DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum (http://www.diychatroom.com/)
-   Windows and Doors (http://www.diychatroom.com/f104/)
-   -   forever door screens (http://www.diychatroom.com/f104/forever-door-screens-105292/)

chuck172 05-23-2011 06:07 AM

forever door screens
 
Can someone point me in the right direction? I need to replace the screen in my forever door. It seems the door uses a special 25' Rigid Screen Spline.
I've found one place that sells this spline but they want to rape me on shipping.
Any ideas on where to get this stuff?

Just Bill 05-23-2011 07:04 AM

Are you talking about the pieces that hold the screen assembly into the door?? Either way, Andersen/Forever would be the best source.

I have done a lot of Forever doors, and never paid attention to how the screen was installed in its' frame. I never noticed that it might be a special spline.

chuck172 05-23-2011 07:42 AM

I need about 20 ft. of 3/8 ridged spline. Swissco is the only online co. I could find that stocks it. The spline costs 15.00 and they want 12.00 shipping.
I think their shipping prices are ridiculous, and I told them that.

chuck172 05-23-2011 04:19 PM

Swissco online returned my mail and apologized for their high shipping prices. They said they know they are very high but have a contract with ups or something.
I can find the correct flat spline in lots of places, but have to buy in bulk, like 25 pieces.
I hope I don't have to cave in to Swissco. and pay their pirate shipping costs.

kwikfishron 05-24-2011 06:14 AM

12 bucks to not have to leave your chair seems reasonable to me. It cost me that in gas just to go to the grocery store and back.

Just Bill 05-24-2011 06:30 AM

The cost is not in the weight, obviously, but truckers charge for space, and long packages cost more than small packages. If you can't find it elsewhere, is there a choice??

chuck172 05-24-2011 08:15 AM

It's not the price it's the principle. I don't think shipping space is an issue. I just can't stand when sellers fudge up shipping costs.
I'll probably pay up, but I at least tried.

Ron6519 05-24-2011 01:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chuck172 (Post 653841)
It's not the price it's the principle. I don't think shipping space is an issue. I just can't stand when sellers fudge up shipping costs.
I'll probably pay up, but I at least tried.

This stuff is so delicate. It's long and easily bent. I hope they pack it well.
Ron

chuck172 05-24-2011 02:47 PM

I'll bet they just roll it up, put it in a manilla folder and ship it.
It will cost them about $2.00.

Ron6519 05-24-2011 07:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chuck172 (Post 654066)
I'll bet they just roll it up, put it in a manilla folder and ship it.
It will cost them about $2.00.

Not the screen, the splines.
Ron

chuck172 05-27-2011 02:21 PM

Well I received the spline today ups from Swisco Inc.
Just like I figured. It came in a cardboard box. One pound. Inside the box is a roll of spline. Could have sent in an envelope.
Price= $ 14.85
shipping= $11.75
Tax= $1.86
Total= $28.46
I looked all over the internet. Had to buy elswhere in bulk. They had me over a barrel.
I hate to get ripped off. But I needed the spline. Oh well!

Ron6519 05-27-2011 02:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chuck172 (Post 656169)
Well I received the spline today ups from Swisco Inc.
Just like I figured. It came in a cardboard box. One pound. Inside the box is a roll of spline. Could have sent in an envelope.
Price= $ 14.85
shipping= $11.75
Tax= $1.86
Total= $28.46
I looked all over the internet. Had to buy elswhere in bulk. They had me over a barrel.
I hate to get ripped off. But I needed the spline. Oh well!

How did this get from, "a rigid spline" to a roll of spline? Why couldn't you have used generic spline?
Ron

chuck172 05-27-2011 03:57 PM

Apparently the "ridged" spline comes in a roll.
http://www.swisco.com/Rigid-Screen-S.../Spline/55-109

Jim F 05-27-2011 04:45 PM

Rigid, yet rollable. I guess the high shipping charge is a way to make their product seem more reasonably priced. But if they are the only game in town they sort of got ya.

chuck172 05-28-2011 04:17 AM

That's exactly what I've been trying to say Jim. I had to buy from Swisco because they were the only game in town. They rip off people with their high shipping.
I just hope that I have enlightened some other potential buyer to shop elsewhere.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:57 PM.


Copyright 2003-2014 Escalate Media LP. All Rights Reserved