Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Windows and Doors

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-01-2011, 08:53 PM   #1

Share |

fog in between the glass

I have the type of windows that have double glass with gas in between the glass. There is fog in one of the sections that won't clear up. What can I do? I can't afford to replace the window. I shouldn't have to because the window is only seven years old.
Please advise

Tmacdonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 06:23 AM   #2

fog in between the glass

The glass or the sash(depends on manufacturer) needs to be replaced. Most window manufacturers have at least a 10 yr warranty, most are 20 yr +, against that problem. See if you can find stickers around the edge of the frame or sashes. They will supply the needed components, but they do not usually include labor. If you can't do it yourself, there will be a labor charge.

Just Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 09:12 PM   #3

fog in between the glass

Elsewhere on this site there is a long thread where guys weigh pros & cons of various solutions. You probably would find it helpful to take a look at.

One suggested solution that kept popping up was the idea of drilling one or two small holes in the panes to vent the air chamber in an effort to remedy the condensation issue. Also it sounded as though the commercial companies who offer this kind of window defogging service insert a special kind of valve in the hole. I had the sense that these valves are not readily available from the posts that I saw.

Here's what I'm wondering about those valves: any of you guys ever go camping or kayaking? Are you familiar with those self-inflating valves that are featured on some better quality air mattresses and kayak pillows? You pop them open and they just start gently sucking in air. I wonder if somehow some version of this valve could be of help here in terms of making air circulate through that chamber. Any thoughts?
219157 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 10:03 PM   #4
Home Performance

fog in between the glass

Quote:
Originally Posted by 219157 View Post
Elsewhere on this site there is a long thread where guys weigh pros & cons of various solutions. You probably would find it helpful to take a look at.

One suggested solution that kept popping up was the idea of drilling one or two small holes in the panes to vent the air chamber in an effort to remedy the condensation issue. Also it sounded as though the commercial companies who offer this kind of window defogging service insert a special kind of valve in the hole. I had the sense that these valves are not readily available from the posts that I saw.

Here's what I'm wondering about those valves: any of you guys ever go camping or kayaking? Are you familiar with those self-inflating valves that are featured on some better quality air mattresses and kayak pillows? You pop them open and they just start gently sucking in air. I wonder if somehow some version of this valve could be of help here in terms of making air circulate through that chamber. Any thoughts?
WOW!............... as previously mentioned, your glass should still be under warranty. If you cannot find any identifiable markings, you'll probably need to resort to replacing the IG, but even then, there should not be a crazy amount of cost involved.
Old 05-04-2011, 05:37 PM   #5

fog in between the glass

Plus 1 to HS.
There is NO way to clean up the interior glass surfaces. NONE. Don't let anyone sell you anything that says it can be done.
Nevar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 06:06 PM   #6
Mod

fog in between the glass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevar View Post
Plus 1 to HS.
There is NO way to clean up the interior glass surfaces. NONE. Don't let anyone sell you anything that says it can be done.
These guys would disagree.

I in no way recommend or endorse this.

Just wanted to point out that “no way” may be a bit overstated.
Old 05-04-2011, 07:00 PM   #7

fog in between the glass

I've seen that before, and yet again the original air leak- seal broken wasn't addressed. Keep their number handy.....

Gary
Old 05-06-2011, 09:11 PM   #8

fog in between the glass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tmacdonald View Post
I have the type of windows that have double glass with gas in between the glass. There is fog in one of the sections that won't clear up. What can I do? I can't afford to replace the window. I shouldn't have to because the window is only seven years old.
Please advise
The seal has failed, replace the glass.
Ron
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 09:29 PM   #9
Window and Door installer

fog in between the glass

Replacing the IG is the ONLY viable solution. As has been stated, almost all manufacturers warranty against this issue.

Jkslate is offline   Reply With Quote