Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Windows and Doors

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-19-2014, 03:05 PM   #1

Share |

Flushing jamb up with wall for casing

I purchased pre-hung doors at standard jamb width. In one room, I am using 5/8" drywall, and the drywall extends from 1/8" to 1/2" past the edge of the jamb on some doors.

In general, I'm hanging them with the hinge side as flush to the wall as I can get (but the wall is uneven even on these sides up to 1/8") and leaving the other side as the deeper set one so I don't have to deal with extending the jamb on the side of the hinges or the latch.

This is my plan. Could you folks tell me if this is a bad approach:

For 1/8" or less, I'm going to see if caulking will be enough to bridge the gap to the casing.

For 3/16" or more, I bought an extra jamb kit, and my plan was to:
- Rip thin strips of jamb as needed from the extra jamb, a little more (1/16" or so) wider than the depth gap
- Tack them on the edge with brad nails and wood glue - should I offset, even if the strip is only 3/16" wide?
- Install the casing as usual
- Putty and paint.

Are there better/faster ways to flush up the jamb? Is installing the hinge side flush the best approach?

Thanks all!

danielrg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 06:11 PM   #2

Why would you use 5/8 on a wall? Only place it's needed is on the garage side of an attached garage.
No need for store bought jamb extensions, scriped 1 X S's work just as well.

danielrg (05-20-2014)
Old 05-19-2014, 09:08 PM   #3

take a piece of trim and hold it on sides and top of door / windows, draw a line around it with a pencil then take a hammer and mash the rock within the line to flatten it down . i see this all the time sometimes like townhouses require 5/8 etc but the framers don't always know it , then the trimmers get mad at the drywallers for using 5/8ths but code required it .

i didn't see 1/2 inch but i would get some pine and make a custom jam or what i did was remove the stops then cut the jam down on a table saw , then add to the jam and put the seam under the door stop so you cant see it ..

Last edited by oldrivers; 05-19-2014 at 09:20 PM.
oldrivers is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to oldrivers For This Useful Post:
danielrg (05-20-2014)
Old 05-19-2014, 09:11 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
Why would you use 5/8 on a wall? Only place it's needed is on the garage side of an attached garage.
drywall is really crap right now "lightweight rock" id use 5/8ths on everything if it were me .
oldrivers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 10:09 PM   #5

Ideally you would get 4 7/8 jamb to fit. Sounds like you are past that. I always leave a little reveal no matter how small the extension I put on. Otherwise you always see a seam.

You can Definetely do as oldrivers said and smash the drywall in with a hammer. Just make sure that you cut the drywall with a knife first.
uncommon doors is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to uncommon doors For This Useful Post:
danielrg (05-20-2014)
Old 05-20-2014, 10:41 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
I bought the 5/8" as part of a sound reducing scheme for a listening room. I was going to double it up with 1/2", but ended up bagging the whole plan - but already had a stack of 5/8" - that did help a little with sound.

Great point on the 1x lumber. Less expensive. Thanks.
Old 05-20-2014, 10:43 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncommon doors View Post
Ideally you would get 4 7/8 jamb to fit. Sounds like you are past that. I always leave a little reveal no matter how small the extension I put on. Otherwise you always see a seam.

You can Definetely do as oldrivers said and smash the drywall in with a hammer. Just make sure that you cut the drywall with a knife first.
Yep - already put the doors in yesterday. The drywall plan will work well. I already did that on a small part with another door and it worked just fine. Thanks for the tip on cutting the paper.