Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Windows and Doors

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-11-2012, 10:22 PM   #1

Share |

Floor to Ceiling Windows: How do they stop water infiltration?

When folks do floor to ceiling windows like this how do they keep water from coming under the bottom? The interior and the exterior are commonly the same elevation - often poured as one concrete pad - and I can't for the life of me see how they keep water from coming under the "bottom plate" (or whatever term you use for windows) in those situations.

We have a similar situation but in our case it's a regular wood frame, brick veneered wall built on a continuous pad. The exterior and the interior are at the same elevation and water comes under the sill plate. The traditional solution is some kind of impermeable membrane that goes up the sheathing, behind the veneer, but we're trying to figure out how commercial/industrial applications are able to waterproof this type of installation without the use of such a membrane.

Note: I realize that in this picture it's under a covered awning but that's often not the case. I noticed our library has a similar installation with no covering.

Last edited by JustADoc; 05-11-2012 at 10:28 PM.
JustADoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 11:25 AM   #2

That one looks like it's a slab floor it's sitting on. But your right it's a very poor design.
The splash back on the windows would keep them dirty looking and a sure way to get water coming in under the wall.
There should have been a block stem wall under the windows with at least 6 to 8" before the grade.

joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 03:50 PM   #3

if i were to design something like that. it would have a rubber gasket at the bottom and perhaps throughout. this would be waterproof, even under pressure.
Fix'n it is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 12:51 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
That one looks like it's a slab floor it's sitting on. But your right it's a very poor design.
The splash back on the windows would keep them dirty looking and a sure way to get water coming in under the wall.
There should have been a block stem wall under the windows with at least 6 to 8" before the grade.
That's exactly what we did to waterproof one exterior side of the room (8" block and a heavy helping of DryLok with a replacement studded wall built on top) but we're trying to avoid that on the other two walls if possible as both of them have veneer brick.
Old 05-13-2012, 12:56 AM   #5

http://jamsill.com/
joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 12:57 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fix'n it View Post
if i were to design something like that. it would have a rubber gasket at the bottom and perhaps throughout. this would be waterproof, even under pressure.
We used those between the sill plate and block on one wall. Unfortunately without tearing out the wall putting one under the other two walls isn't an option.

A brick sidewalk meets the veneer wall on both sides - so, the exterior sidewalk is actually higher than the interior slab floor by the thickness of the brick walk. This is likely one problem. I'm considering cutting about a 2" strip of the brick walk out where it meets the veneer wall and filling it back in with hydraulic cement or one of those industrial grade rubber caulking products.
Old 05-13-2012, 10:11 AM   #7

pics ?!

Fix'n it is offline   Reply With Quote