Flaking Window Seal - Windows and Doors - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Windows and Doors

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-18-2013, 03:29 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Flaking Window Seal

Hello, I have been asked by and family friend to look at her windows as they look "weird". She built the house in 1992 and says they are Anderson windows, I was not able to find a model or number etc. It seams to me to look like the seal in between the panes of glass is flaking. I did not see any water, nor fog in any of the windows. This is happening in about half of the windows in the house. I assume they are out of warranty being that its 21+ years old, and I wonder if this is something to be concerned about or if it is just cosmetic? Also what are the options for repair?
Attached Thumbnails
Flaking Window Seal-window1.jpg  

Advertisement

Jbaryz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 04:15 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 664

Flaking Window Seal

Are those clad windows?
Clad means it's aluminum or vinyl on the outside and wood inside.
I've seen a ton of failures on that style made by Anderson. Even 10 year old windows with rotted bottom rails.
The sashes can be replaced, but in a few yours your back to square one again.

Advertisement

Old 11-18-2013, 04:38 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

Flaking Window Seal

Thanks for the reply!

I believe they are vinyl on the exterior. What causes this to happen? Is it just the way the window was manufactured or environmental issues?

From the sounds of it the only true way to fix the problem is the replace the window itself, and if half are bad might as well replace them all.
Jbaryz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 04:52 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 664

Flaking Window Seal

It the way it was made.
After the third home I had to replace all the sashes we took some apart to see as best we could to see why they failed.
There was unseal exposed wood on the outside edges that were just soaking in moisture like a straw.
Anderson denies there's ever been a problem with there clad windows.
If you go on a web site called " Pis*edoffconsumer.com" (add the missing letter) you can read about hundreds of people with complaints against them and they refuse to warranty them.
When I called to order the new sashes they acted like this was the first call they had ever received on this issue. After the third time having to go through the same complaint on different propertys they still stuck with there story.
Jbaryz (11-18-2013)