Failing To Understand Pocket Door Lock - Windows and Doors - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Windows and Doors

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-11-2012, 10:57 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Failing to understand pocket door lock

We have sliding doors to our bathroom. House was built in the 50s and the doors had locks like this one:
http://www.johnsonhardware.com/image...S3R400x400.jpg

One broke, so we ordered one like this:
Kwikset Pocket Door lock

Fits great in the circular hole. The hole in the door frame will need to be adapted to be square instead of circular for the strike plate. But before I do that, I'm hesitant to proceed because I cannot at all understand how this lock works.

As you can see from the picture, there is a little latch-looking thing that serves as a door pull. When you turn the lock itself, that thing comes out further, like a bolt lock. There is nothing at all in the strike plate to catch it. It looks like a bolt for a normal swinging door, not a sliding door. Reviews to these say they work well... am I a moron? Does pocket door not equal sliding door? How is this thing supposed to work?

Thanks...

Advertisement

catapult37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 11:26 AM   #2
the Musigician

Rewards Points: 2,000

From what I can see on your links, no, that will not work and no, you are not a moron.
You need the type that has a "hook" that extends when you hit the lock to catch and secure the pocket door closed.

DM

Advertisement

Old 08-11-2012, 11:48 AM   #3
the Musigician

oh.... and is there a reason you just didn't order another matching one from Johnsons? (the best pocket door company I know of.)

DM
Old 08-11-2012, 12:26 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 10

My wife ordered them while I was at work. :-) But I'm very confused... on what kind of door does this lock work? I've read reviews of the Kwikset lock that make it seem like we're talking about the same kind of sliding door.
catapult37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 01:05 PM   #5
the Musigician

If it works like a deadbolt, I don't see how it'll lock a pocket door or any type of "slider". ???

DM