Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Windows and Doors

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-11-2012, 12:12 PM   #1
Thumb Banger

Share |

Exterior window trim - necessary?

Possibly Stupid Question alert;

Do I need it? I just put in an Anderson 400 series double wide window and I'm reusing the aluminum siding I took off for other repairs. If I'm not concerned about appearances (matching the other windows which are circa 1956 aluminum with 2" wood brickmold and a bullnose) do I need exterior trim or can I just use J channel?

I was replacing the siding when I realized I might have to trim it out. If I do, do I have to make it out of five quarter? Can I buy a bullnose? I have no clue. I used to know many years ago, but I forget more than I ever knew.

scroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 01:13 PM   #2
DIY staff

You could add J channel and side up to it--

I'm not a siding guy--but that is the way it is done around here.

scroff (09-11-2012)
Old 09-11-2012, 03:07 PM   #3

Posting a picture of what it is you have now to would be a big help to figure what you need to do.
No clue why you would use bull nosed anything when trimming out a window.

Are you adding new siding over old wooden siding?
joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to joecaption For This Useful Post:
scroff (09-11-2012)
Old 09-11-2012, 03:12 PM   #4
paper hanger and painter

Quote:
Originally Posted by scroff View Post
Possibly Stupid Question alert;

Do I need it? I just put in an Anderson 400 series double wide window and I'm reusing the aluminum siding I took off for other repairs. If I'm not concerned about appearances (matching the other windows which are circa 1956 aluminum with 2" wood brickmold and a bullnose) do I need exterior trim or can I just use J channel?

I was replacing the siding when I realized I might have to trim it out. If I do, do I have to make it out of five quarter? Can I buy a bullnose? I have no clue. I used to know many years ago, but I forget more than I ever knew.

Don't feel bad, you're not alone
chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to chrisn For This Useful Post:
scroff (09-11-2012)
Old 09-11-2012, 09:45 PM   #5
Thumb Banger

Thanks for your replies. This is all part of a larger project that started with rot behind a chimney. I took the chimney down and reframed about a 4 foot wide section of wall from the bottom sill to the roof. I took off most of the old aluminum siding. While it was off I bought a double wide Andersen window and put it in the master bedroom. Now I'm putting the old siding back on. The other windows that are left are old aluminum windows that have 2" brickmold on the sides and a bullnose underneath. I wouldn't really call it a sill because it isn't part of the window but sits underneath. So now I'm putting the old siding back on, and couldn't remember if I needed to trim out the new window, and if I did I wanted it to match the old window style. After Oh'mike's reply I went around to the front of the house, where there are newer, similar Andersen windows, and all they have is the J channel. So, considering I'm going to eventually replace all the old aluminum windows, I don't have to trim them out, I just have to use J channel.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it. All I have left after this is to finish the inside, just in time for winter.
scroff is offline   Reply With Quote