Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Windows and Doors

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-04-2012, 10:41 AM   #1

Share |

Exterior window sealant

Hi there, I am looking for some help

Last year we had a leak in our kitchen extension ceiling and someone came out to have a look but said he couldn't get to the bottom of the matter, 2 more roofers said the same without it costing hundreds to lift lots of tiles and thats before they start the work if they ever found the problem.

We left if as we never heard it for a while and there was no real heavy rain for a while. It started again last month and got someone new out to have a look and he said the problem was actually the windows as there was nothing under the window sill and it was going down the back of that. He filled it in with no more gaps foam but it's not stopped raining since he done that and the sealant I put on wouldn't dry as the rain never stayed off long enough.

I had plastic sheets over the bottom on the window but these got blown off in the high winds last night and the dripping started again today.

How long does window sealant take to dry i.e. do I need 2 dry days or longer as the window sill is pretty wet?

Any help/advice would be great thanks.

Cheers,
Johnny
johnnyk42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 10:45 AM   #2
Exterior Construction

Exterior window sealant

Depends on the sealant, what type of cure it is (moisture, chemical, etc), the temperature of outside as well as the humidity.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Windows on Wash is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Windows on Wash For This Useful Post:
johnnyk42 (01-04-2012)
Old 01-04-2012, 11:06 AM   #3

Exterior window sealant

Thanks,

I am in Scotland, UK

The sealant is Unibond exterior window sealant.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B003ZUXQK...SIN=B003ZUXQKS

All the sealants i've seen say up to 48 hours to dry, can't find any fast drying ones, if there is any?

It's to be between 2 and 6 oC, humidity it says between 80 and 90% next few days and it's to be dry the next 3 days (although it can change very easy over here) then rain forecast again on Sunday. The brick window sill is pretty wet and probably needs a new coat of exterior paint also.

I don't know if I should wait until spring to do it right when it's hopefully drier weather or try and get it fixed asap but i'm not sure if the sealant will hold as it's been so wet.

Thanks again,
Johnny
Old 01-04-2012, 11:22 AM   #4
Exterior Construction

Exterior window sealant

48 hours is somewhat normal for most sealants for a full cure.

Many sealants will "skin" over in about and hour or two but will not reach full cure until much later.

Windows on Wash is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Windows on Wash For This Useful Post:
johnnyk42 (01-04-2012)
Old 01-04-2012, 11:25 AM   #5

Exterior window sealant

Thanks again,

i'll keep hoping for some dry weather soon and get it sealed properly

Cheers,
Johnny