Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Windows and Doors

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-14-2012, 02:25 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Exterior Window Finishing

Hello,

I have recently had egress windows installed and the exterior finishing seems questionable by the contractor. Hoping to get some opinions on it. Looking at the picture below, should there be any caulking between the window frame and the wood trim? Is that gap normal? also there is a gap at the siding that is about 3/8" wide and it seems like water can just run down behind the siding.

Thanks!

Brian

eggcrate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 04:00 PM   #2
Exterior Construction

Rewards Points: 16

That window should be inset a bit more than the exterior and it should be caulked between the wood trim and the window.

Water runs behind the siding already but that J-Channel is not installed properly either.

I also like a drip cap behind the j and between the wood frame and the siding as a catch and divert.

Windows on Wash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 05:01 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 0

Thanks for the response.

At this point I don't think the windows can get inset and deeper, though I'm not pretending to know how to install windows. These are egress windows and this particular windows has the bottom half of the window set into the contrete. Seems to me that the wood trim could be taken out and a thicker cut used to make up for the "gap" and then caulked. Again, this was done by a contractor and I just want to know what to tell him. All I know is that asthetically, it really looks bad to me. Not to mention it looks like it's going to leak all over the palce.

What would be your course of action to fix the problems?

Thanks again!

Brian
eggcrate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 06:06 AM   #4
Exterior Construction

Rewards Points: 16

Not moving the windows, properly folded J channel, drip cap, and seal the window to the frame.
Windows on Wash is offline   Reply With Quote