Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Windows and Doors

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-08-2012, 04:00 PM   #1

Share |
Arrow

Exterior Finishing of a New Constr. Window Install (siding etc.)

My specific question is bolded in CAPS below...but first some background...

Ok folks...I am breaking down and starting a thread. I've done a ton of reading and searching. FWIW, when I was a lot younger I worked as a construction worker (mostly residental concrete and framing) so I'm not completely clueless, but I have almost zero exterior finishing experience....and won't take offense if you break me down

I'm doing a full gut rehab of a few second story bedrooms. All mechanical is being done by me...everything else as well, except refinishing the wood floors. I know how to do everything except how to finish off the exterior installation of the new construction windows I'm putting in. I could make it work, but I want to work smart and make sure I'm not missing out on an easy tried and true solution (order the right stuff and do it once so that it lasts).

Here is where I am: I've reframed the rough opening, installed the sill pan (flex wrap), window (with nailing fins), the side and top flashing (with 9" sticky flashing), and added a drip cap (not sure I actually needed that).

WHAT ARE THE BEST PRACTICES FOR FINISHING OFF THE VINYL SIDING AROUND THE WINDOW? Is there a specific system that is meant to snap into the AL clading or should I just but the siding up against the window as tight as possible? Is the channel on the exterior edge of the AL clading intended to have something inserted/snapped into it?

My windows are AL clad wood. The Vinyl was installed by the prior owner 15 or more years ago. I have no scraps. I have so far been unable to locate someone that will sell me extra matching pieces (I can't use the old pieces because they are too small to fit the new, larger window).

Here are some pictures:

The old finishing with old window removed:

The new window installed, with AL clading, drip cap (z bar), and side flashing visible:

Wood, brick molding, and caulk would be more intuitive for me. All this J channel business, and the need to source the correct pieces, is throwing me off.

Thanks in advance

DefyInertia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 04:22 PM   #2

Getting confused by things like this (found this in the HOW TO section of the fourm):

Old 04-08-2012, 04:37 PM   #3

Not a great place for a window that wide, It leaves you with no place to install the trim on the left side that will be needed to stop air and water leaks.
Your left with buying a new narrower window or just not having one there.
That looks like just douch Lap vinyl siding. If your going to use the window you have I would have just used reguler J moulding not the wide stuff you have now. Using that there's no good way to install an inside corner using that wide trim.
joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to joecaption For This Useful Post:
DefyInertia (04-10-2012), woodworkbykirk (04-14-2012)
Old 04-10-2012, 11:29 PM   #4

Thanks

The first picture shows the previous install, which has been there for at least 15 years. Not sure why they opted for such thick j channel.

This is a critical place to have a window. Walling it up is not an option.

I reframed the opening and brought over an inch and a half away from the inside corner so I have a little more room to work with.

It's been raining for a day straight and there is no siding installed. Everything appears to be bone dry so far.

Last edited by DefyInertia; 04-10-2012 at 11:31 PM.