Exterior Door Molding Against Stucco - Windows and Doors - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Windows and Doors

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree7Likes

Old 04-20-2017, 03:29 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 95

Exterior Door Molding Against Stucco

Hey guys....

Need to replace the molding on an exterior door that butts up against stucco. The molding had a screen door attached and the screws for the hinges were moved over the years as the old holes became too loose and the screws pulled free.

House was build in 1951, original owner (Mom, 95 now) still there. I am her daughter and try to help fix things for her. Want to put the screen door back up, but need new molding first.

Am concerned trying to break this away without damaging the stucco... also not sure if the 1" trim is a separate piece from the more-interior, raised piece that it appears to butt up against. The door jamb kit at Lowes has these as one piece?

Any tips or comments for me? TIA!

Advertisement

Trese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 04:24 PM   #2
Exterior Construction

Rewards Points: 4,628

Re: Exterior Door Molding Against Stucco

Cut it with an angle grinder and a diamond blade.

If you don't, you are likely to take a bunch of chunks with you.
dd57chevy likes this.

Advertisement

Windows on Wash is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Windows on Wash For This Useful Post:
Trese (04-20-2017)
Old 04-20-2017, 05:05 PM   #3

Thanks, Wash.... so just to make sure I understand, use the angle grinder to slice vertically up/down between the molding and stucco, so sort of put a channel there... ? Then slip in a stiff putty knife, or will the grinder blade cut through any nails?

And I assume I should score the painted seam at the molding it butts up to... is that a separate piece do you think?

Last edited by Trese; 04-20-2017 at 05:32 PM. Reason: said "trim" when I meant "stucco"

Old 04-20-2017, 05:14 PM   #4
Exterior Construction

Grinder will, with gentle pressure, cut through the nails.

Once you get through the stucco, you can always go back to a fiber blade for the cut off.
Old 04-20-2017, 05:27 PM   #5

Thanks so very much. Appreciate it.
Old 04-20-2017, 05:44 PM   #6
Exterior Construction

Let us know how it goes.

If you think you are prying on it...stop and keep cutting.
Old 04-20-2017, 05:57 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windows on Wash View Post
Let us know how it goes.

If you think you are prying on it...stop and keep cutting.
Thanks for the tip. Will do.

I guess I won't be able to find trim with that special little beveled/rippled edge... have you ever seen it before?

EDIT: PS I have to buy an angle grinder. Anything special I should know? I see there are a range of prices...
Old 04-20-2017, 05:59 PM   #8
Exterior Construction

It was either routed that way or is more likely 2 pieces.
Old 04-20-2017, 06:20 PM   #9

Good deal. Will just get what they have, either way. It might not match but it will be functional and not all that noticeable after painting.
Old 04-20-2017, 06:39 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 828

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trese View Post
Thanks for the tip. Will do.

I guess I won't be able to find trim with that special little beveled/rippled edge... have you ever seen it before?

EDIT: PS I have to buy an angle grinder. Anything special I should know? I see there are a range of prices...
Ditto what W on W said !

As for the angle grinder , unless you plan on steel fabrication as a hobby , a lower amp , lower price one should work fine .
dd57chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dd57chevy For This Useful Post:
Trese (04-20-2017)
Old 04-20-2017, 07:24 PM   #11

Thanks Chevy... just read an article listing the top 10 angle grinders (in their opinion) and am going with the lesser expensive 3rd place one b/c it's only 3.5 lbs (Milwaukee 6130-33) and has a 5yr warranty... plus standard specs. Can pick it up at HD on sale for $49. Will get all the stuff (incl diamond blade) tomorrow and report back with pictures when it's done. (Unless I run into problems and come back sooner for more help! I've done enough of these little projects to know nothing is ever as simple as you think it's going to be!)
MTN REMODEL LLC and dd57chevy like this.
Old 04-21-2017, 06:56 PM   #12

Got waylaid yesterday and today with yard work, so all I got done was picking up the angle grinder and diamond blade. Quick question: when I picked up the grinder, above them were what looked like blades, but they couldn't have been b/c they were too cheap. One said masonry wheel (or masonry something) but was only $1.86. I didn't know what they were, but purchased an Avanti Pro Diamond turbo blade ($11)... then got home and read the manual for the grinder and it mentions "flanges" but doesn't say what they are or what they're for... which made me think what I saw for a buck was a flange, and maybe it acts like a pad for the blade??? I Googled this and only saw info on the flange NUT (on the grinder) and how to properly install it, but said nothing of 'flanges' in general. Do I need something aside from the Diamond blade? Thanks guys!
Old 04-21-2017, 08:23 PM   #13

Rewards Points: 828

No , you shouldn't need anything but whatever blade you choose .

I've never actually used a diamond blade , I mosstly use an a/grinder to cut steel . Here's some suggestions :

Use whichever blade you like . You won't really damage anything if you use a masonary blade to cut stucco , it should go through nails .

If you never used an A/grinder , my advice is take all the safety procedures you've ever learned........& double them !!! These tools put out a literal shower of sparks & debris , will leave you with hearing damage , & could break your wrist if your shirt sleeve were to get entangled !!!
Trese likes this.
dd57chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2017, 10:53 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by dd57chevy View Post
No , you shouldn't need anything but whatever blade you choose .

I've never actually used a diamond blade , I mosstly use an a/grinder to cut steel . Here's some suggestions :

Use whichever blade you like . You won't really damage anything if you use a masonary blade to cut stucco , it should go through nails .

If you never used an A/grinder , my advice is take all the safety procedures you've ever learned........& double them !!! These tools put out a literal shower of sparks & debris , will leave you with hearing damage , & could break your wrist if your shirt sleeve were to get entangled !!!
Noted! I have a great respect for tools and am hyper aware and diligent. IMO you can't be too careful, especially if you are a novice, like me. I started the grinder up last night just to feel how the switch works, how it feels, etc. and yes, def using ear plugs! Glasses, gloves, shoes and will pick my clothing carefully.

My main concern right now is the thickness of the diamond blade (1/8")... I feel like I'll be taking a lot of material off and this may sound like a stupid question, but where exactly should I position it... ON the seam between the stucco and trim, or aim more for the edge of the trim to take as little stucco as possible? Will the diamond blade cut the wood?

I can't get started b/c it's too early here (too noisy) but my plan for today is just to remove about 6" of trim from the bottom so I can see what I'm dealing with.... if it's part of the mid-trim that's raised, or a separate piece, and how it meets the stucco. I saw a YT vid with a guy replacing trim against stucco and the trim actually was routered to slip BEHIND the (exterior) stucco wall! I hope I am not dealing with that.

Then I can take the piece to Lowes to match it.

Other job today is to reveal the seam b/c it's painted over. I need to see where I take the a/grinder and make sure I follow a straight line!
Old 04-22-2017, 01:57 PM   #15

Went ahead and tried to remove a bottom portion of the trim. The a/grinder works great but there is no way this is coming away... it must be all one piece with the wider, center-raised trim. Knowing nothing, I'd guess if that's the case the best way to remove it is by going from the inside of the house, outward. Take off the door and remove all the metal weather stripping, and anything else needed to remove the whole center part of the jamb.

I've never (until now) decided not to do a project I started, but this would be a bit much. The door is heavy and I'm alone, plus you can't tell from the pics, but on the outside of the door are two steep cement stairs, so the footing outside is awkward, plus I can't place a ladder to the left to work right-handed b/c the water heater is there... and to the right is the door.

The good news is I have a new tool that will come in handy. The bad news is, I am going to have to have a handyman to replace the entire jamb... or at least the part that's visible from the outside when the door is closed.

free image hosting
dd57chevy likes this.

Advertisement