Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Windows and Doors

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-03-2012, 02:29 PM   #1

Share |

Exterior door lock exposed to weather

Edit: yes- dumb phone autocorrected Door to dork..)

Wasn't exactly sure about the best place or proper terms so this subforum is my best guess... Here goes:

We have an exterior gate that we use quite often to access our home, in fact it's the primary point of entry 80% of the time. It is completely exposed to the weather on both sides and we have a double deadbolt set up for access. This works well about 360 days out of the year when we receive no rain in so cal, but when it does rain, water gets in and oxidizes the lock pins and makes it near impossible to use without risk of breaking keys.

I know WD-40 is pretty much a nono for locks (it's a kwickset btw) and I know it should have graphite or liquid graphite that dries after coating inside is okay, but that seems to vanish come the rainy days. Is there anything else you guys might recommend to add into the locking chambers to alter this problem from happening? Maybe some white grease in the locking pins or what not?

I'm skilled at disassembling and rekeying and master keying kwickset locks so the insides aren't exactly foreign territory. Just looking for a way to not have to worry about the rain with the access that is simple to fix. Also, a doorknob won't work here because the gate is attached to the hinge side of our automatic gate and doesn't allow the room for a knob access.

Suggestions?

scyarch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 05:48 PM   #2
Exterior Construction

The dry film silicons are really good these days too.

Outside of what you have tried, the only other thing you could do is maybe put a drop over cover on it.

Windows on Wash is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Windows on Wash For This Useful Post:
scyarch (12-03-2012)
Old 12-10-2012, 03:56 PM   #3
Mold!! Let's kill it!

WD40 certainly won't hurt the inside of a lock cylinder. You surely don't want any sort of grease. Any dirt, particularly pocket lint which always ends up in lock cylinders, will cling to it and cause some bigger issues. Dry teflon lubricants work really well.
Maintenance 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 05:39 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maintenance 6 View Post
WD40 certainly won't hurt the inside of a lock cylinder. You surely don't want any sort of grease. Any dirt, particularly pocket lint which always ends up in lock cylinders, will cling to it and cause some bigger issues. Dry teflon lubricants work really well.
Yep. But the dry Teflon also seem to like to wash out. (Unless I'm using something other than I think I am. o.O It's only done once a year or so- so forgive my memory :P too much going on. I think I have done WD-40 in the middle of the rainy times to just unfreeze the chamber, however.
scyarch is offline   Reply With Quote