Entry Door Knob And Hinges Freezing - Windows and Doors - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Windows and Doors

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-06-2014, 01:47 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Entry Door Knob and Hinges Freezing

I had new entry Doors installed somewhat recently. On the front Door, I noticed on a previous occasion that the hinges had iced up. Since then I had the installer back out because they didn't adjust the sill correctly and it was leaking cold air.

When he came out I mentioned the hinges and he said that the issue is likely that I hadn't installed the storm door yet. Seems odd but OK. I don't see a way to adjust the amount of pressure that the door puts on the weather stripping so must just be the way it is. Is that accurate?

Today it's extremely cold (-14F) and the doorknob is also frozen. Door works but ice on the inside surface.

Any thoughts? I get the feeling that I'm loosing tons of energy out of the NEW door :-(

Advertisement

bmax1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 03:44 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 572

All doors leak a small amount. At -14 deg. strange things can happen. Even metal can get brittle, saltwater can freeze.
I'd use a air dryer to thaw out the knob and latch, then shoot in some WD 40.
The WD stands for water displacement.
Adding that storm door at some points going to help some.

Advertisement

Old 01-06-2014, 04:17 PM   #3

Thanks. I think I saw someone recommend WD in another post for an internally frozen knob. I was more concerned about the potential energy loss since the mechanical portions are still working. Will certainly do that though to get rid of the evidence.
Old 01-06-2014, 04:41 PM   #4

Got a picture of this door?
I've worked mainly on older homes where nothing is level or square so had to come up with ways to seal old doors.
Old 01-06-2014, 09:22 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
Got a picture of this door?
I've worked mainly on older homes where nothing is level or square so had to come up with ways to seal old doors.
Per your request, here's photos:
http://s1346.photobucket.com/user/bu.../library/Doors

When they installed it, they mentioned that the wall wasn't quite right ( something about one side being square and the other not I think. ) They mentioned that the trim may look a bit funky since they'd install the door square. I know they did spray foam around the outside of the frame.

Is it possible that they tweaked the frame out of being square when they installed it? Looks fine to me but I'm certainly not an expert.

Last edited by bmax1985; 01-06-2014 at 09:28 PM. Reason: Forgot text.
Old 01-06-2014, 10:03 PM   #6
Haverhill Trade 1965

Rewards Points: 500

A storm door may cure it but it looks like you may have excess humidity inside. Hinges and knobs have no insulation in them to stop cold transfer.
Duckweather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 11:09 PM   #7
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 2,460

A Storm door helps. Our Storm door on the back is iced inside and out, but the new door we hung this past October, is working like a charm. The old solid wood door, with a Single pane 36x36 Window, leaked cold so much, that nothing could help stop the handle from feeling cold.

Give it a couple of days, and once it starts hitting the 40's, get the Storm door up. If you do not feel like doing it, hire a local contractor that is looking to pick up some extra dollars, that will do it for you.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 11:14 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duckweather View Post
A storm door may cure it but it looks like you may have excess humidity inside. Hinges and knobs have no insulation in them to stop cold transfer.
Today I took the humidity down further (below 20%) if the humidistat is accurate but it's quite old.
Old 01-07-2014, 03:55 PM   #9
Haverhill Trade 1965

Rewards Points: 500

That still looks like a lot of frost for low humidity. Is there a chance of a small leak around the new door supplying it?
Duckweather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 04:27 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duckweather View Post
That still looks like a lot of frost for low humidity. Is there a chance of a small leak around the new door supplying it?
I can feel cold air if I put my hand there. I did ask the installer about it and he said that a storm door would fix it and left it at that. He seemed to think that there wasn't another fix. That's why I asked if it's possible that they tweaked the door out of square when installing it.

To my eye, there isn't a way to adjust the weather strip on that side so I'm at a loss as to how to correct it. Should I just go to the store and see if there is a thicker sort of weather stripping that I can put on that side?
Old 01-07-2014, 04:40 PM   #11
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 2,460

You can get the Z style, that is in a Aluminum channel, to fit along the edge of the door. But no, if the contractor had installed the door properly, there should be no need for extra weatherstripping.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 06:05 PM   #12

my thinking would be that behind the hinges were not shimmed properly. if you look down the inside hinge side of door, the spacing between the door and the frame should be the same at all points. if it gets just a hair bigger at the hinges then that is your problem.
bone66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 09:13 PM   #13

Rewards Points: 75

Can you see daylight coming through it? There is either a magnetic weatherstrip, or a foam one. Most foam ones are two different styles on the same door. There is a smaller one that should be on the hinge side and a longer (Longreach w/s) on the head and the latch side.
If you shut the door, is the door sticking out(into the room) further on either the top or bottom? If one is out more, the frame of the window is installed cocked.
There is no "Adjustment" on the w/s generally on new doors. The way to adjust the door to the w/s is to either move the strike plate tighter to the w/s or there is a tab on the strike plate that should be bent in more. That will bring the door to be tighter to the w/s, but the plate for the deadbolt might have to be moved because it would have been mortised for where the knob was originally set at.

Also pics of the w/s would help at the sill as well. A storm door will def help, but that is not what the new door should require to be air tight.
mknasa dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 09:15 PM   #14

Rewards Points: 75

And seeing that much frost, I would wonder if the outside is sealed off properly as well as insulated properly.
mknasa dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 11:27 AM   #15

Lowes, HD, most hardware stores sell a weather strip that I've used many time's and it worked.
It's an aluminum strip with a bulb of vinyl covered foam.
Comes in white and silver.
There's premade elongated holes for the screws.
Just cut to fit, Premark and drill the holes for the screws.
A whole lot cheaper and easier then a storm door.

Advertisement