Entry Door - Windows and Doors - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Windows and Doors

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-10-2012, 01:40 PM   #1
DIY Homeowner

Rewards Points: 154

Entry door

He two screws that hold my latch in place on my door is stripped and they back themselves out and then we have to screw them back to be able to shut the door,
Last time I had it apart, I remember the wood around the latch to be chewed up, so I don't think the "goft tee" trick would work. I already put in a bigger screw in.

Is there anything else I can do or do I need to get a new door??
And if I do put another entry door in, can I do just the door, so I don't have to go through all the work of putting in a new frame??
Thanks Barry

Advertisement

Barry J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 02:11 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,030

Entry door

You can drill the holes out and put in dowels. Also you could try and use epoxie glue on them.

Advertisement

mae-ling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 02:30 PM   #3
DIY Homeowner

Rewards Points: 154

Entry door

The dowel trick is the same as the golf tee trick.
When I had the door knob out, the wood on either side of the screw holes was all the way through to the latch hole,
So placing a golf tee in the hole is like putting it into a hole that is "c" shaped. Does that make sense??
Barry
Barry J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 03:23 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 1,030

Entry door

Pics may help, if you can.
Can you drill it out so it is round?
If not.
Pack the hole with toothpics and glue, and screw in before glue sets.
mae-ling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 08:47 AM   #5
A door a day is all I ask

Rewards Points: 75

Entry door

I only have a couple of things that I have used successfully in you situation.
The first is pretty annoying and labor intensive. I mortise out the area where the the latch face plate sits about 1/2" deep.
Then I cut a piece of oak or fir (or other fairly hard wood) 1/2" x 2 1/4" x 1" and glue it into that deep mortise using devcon 5 minute epoxy.
When that is dry (Devcon says 1 hour for full strength but I usually cheat and move on in 10 minutes or so), I drill the 1" latch bolt
hole and mortise in for the face plate 1/8" then pre drill 1/8" holes for the screws and reinstall latch and lock. Like I said, it's a pain but does work.

The second solution is more down and dirty. Using about 7/64" steel drill bit I drill at a fairly steep angle through the screw holes
up and down into the solid portions of your door. Then using a slightly thinner (maybe an #6) and longer sheet metal type screw I hold the
latch in place and drive screws in at the angle. They don't seat flush but the small size of the scew head usually lets them seat
far enough in so they are not a problem.

I hope that helps you avoid buying a new door!!
RC/DG

TheDoorGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 08:51 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 610

Entry door

If your talking about the latch plate that's on the jamb just use a longer, not a bigger screw. If it's the latch bolt plate the same thing should work. Far less work.

Advertisement

joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote