Encore Windows From Seaway? - Windows and Doors - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Windows and Doors

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-27-2015, 07:44 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 83

Encore Windows from Seaway?

Anyone have any experience with these? Information is very limited on the internet for these replacement vinyl windows. Just found out a neighbor sells them. He gave me a pamphlet and they advertise some very good performance numbers. .01 air infiltration( not .1 but .01) on a double hung and even their most bottom line has .26 u factor ( and it gets down to the teens for their triple pane top of the line).

Trying to figure out how these compare with the Plygem Premiums that i have been looking at using. Any experiences with Seaway let me know. Thanks.

Advertisement

AllGoNoShow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 07:10 AM   #2
Exterior Construction

Rewards Points: 5,960

Good to see you over here as well.

Can't add much to the discussion that wasn't already discussed over on the other site.

Post up a link and maybe you will get some more feedback.

Advertisement

Windows on Wash is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 09:27 AM   #3
Home Performance

Rewards Points: 666

Can't say that I have installed the product personally, but the numbers look good. I would cross-reference the u factor with SHGC and condensation resistance to ensure that those numbers aren't achieved with "side-effects", meaning improper low e coatings for your climate. If it has an shgc over .25, VT near or over 50, and CR in the 60's or better to go with that u factor, it sounds like a legit performer.
The Following User Says Thank You to HomeSealed For This Useful Post:
Windows on Wash (04-28-2015)
Old 04-29-2015, 07:17 PM   #4

Heres a link to the windows: http://www.seawaymfg.com/products/vi...-hung/anatomy/
Old 04-30-2015, 03:54 PM   #5
Home Performance

not a ton of info on the website, but the nfrc sticker that they show has a .20 u factor with triple pane krypton. While that is a very good u factor, it is NOT impressive at all with krypton. By comparison, other products achieve u factors around .15-.16 with the same glass... Ultimately, that leads me to believe that the numbers above are not legit. I also noticed that they make mention of "glass only" ratings on the website. These numbers are completely irrelevant to you as a consumer, and are generally used to confuse and mislead you, since the NFRC only tests total unit u factor.

All that said, they have over 200 pages of glass packages tested on nfrc.org. I'd suggest asking for the CPD number of this glass package so that you can get the real facts on it. (you reference that number on nfrc.org)
Old 05-02-2015, 09:49 AM   #6

The pamphlet they gave me says the triple pane with krypton is .15 u factor (the triple pane with argon is .20). The bottom end window with double pane argon is listed as .26 NFRC whole product u factor and .26 shgc. An upgrade to the "super spacer" makes it .25/.26. The same literature gives the .01 air infiltration number on a double hung window.

The plygems premium with just the normal hp low e/argon package are .29 u factor and .27 shgc and .51 vtl (the encores do not have a vtl listed).

Considering there is just a lack of info on the Seaways i am prolly just gonna go with the Plygems. At least i know what i will be getting ( a solid B grade window at a reasonable price). Ive looked at some of the other manufacturers recommended and they either dont sell in western ny or there only dealers in the area do installs and will not sell for dyi.
Old 05-05-2015, 03:08 PM   #7
Home Performance

I'd take a minute to research this further. Every year that goes by the plygem offerings slide down further on the grading curve. Average is about right IMO.

Like I mentioned previously, I'd ask the Seaway guy for the CPD number on the product that he is quoting so that you can verify whether it is a real performer or a pretender. If its legit, like I said earlier, those numbers are very good. Post back with that info if you get it.
Old 05-27-2015, 09:21 PM   #8

I got a CPD number for the one with the super spacer. Apparently the numbers they cite in their brochure are for windows with several upgrades. For the basic Insulglaze 450s with the super spacer it is .29 u factor, .25 shgc, .46 VT, 59 condensation resistance.

For comparison the PlyGems are .29, .27 shgc, and .51 VT. I can't seem to find anyone online that has anything bad to say about the Seaways, there just isn't a lot out there about them.
Old 05-28-2015, 08:15 AM   #9
Exterior Construction

Rewards Points: 5,960

Those numbers at just pretty average.
Windows on Wash is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Windows on Wash For This Useful Post:
HomeSealed (05-30-2015)
Old 05-30-2015, 09:29 AM   #10
Home Performance

+1. Average thermals.
I'd look to the air infiltration and design pressure ratings to separate those two.

Advertisement