Egress Code - Windows and Doors - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Windows and Doors

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-24-2012, 11:42 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 2,676

egress code

would a 42x42"ro slider provide enough egress ?

Advertisement

Fix'n it is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 12:00 PM   #2
Renovations contractor

Rewards Points: 250

egress code

What does your local code / bylaws say? Is this from a basement, other floor, where? Need a whole lot more info to give anything close to a suitable response.

Advertisement

Bonzai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 12:25 PM   #3
Exterior Construction

Rewards Points: 3,232

egress code

You can ask the window manufacturer what the net clear on their windows are of a given size.

They will have the specifics and you can compare that to minimum requirements.
Windows on Wash is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 12:25 PM   #4

egress code

we go by 2002 national code. but i have yet to find it in the code listing.

bedroom, dining room, living room. 1/2 above grade. so the bottom of the window would be about 6' up on the outside.
Old 06-24-2012, 02:55 PM   #5

Location: Minneapolis/St. Paul, Minnesota - Latitude 45.057 Longitude -93.074
Rewards Points: 2,134

egress code

The rough opening is of little importance when it comes to requirements for am egress window. The important dimensions that are important are the clear height, width and area of the window window when is a open position. I doubt if a slider with a 40x40 R.O would meet the requirements since maximum open width would be much below 18". The best thing to do is to buy a certified egress window and leave the sticker on it until it is installed and approved to eliminate any questions.

The purpose of an egress window to to allow some one to exit and to allow a firefighter or emrgency person to enery and exit with equipment (tanks, etc.).

There is also a requirement of having the height to the bottom of the finished opening to be less than either 42" or 44", depending on local requirements.

The safest thing to do ask the building official for the egress requirements and they love to provide them because it makes their job easier and eliminates problems.

Not having a legal egress window can reduce the liveable square footage, so selling price will be less and the amount available for financing will be limited, which reduces the number of possible buyers.

Dick
concretemasonry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 03:34 PM   #6
Exterior Construction

egress code

+1

No way that a 42" wide slider will give you the 20" required net clear opening width.
Old 06-24-2012, 03:47 PM   #7
Renovations contractor

Rewards Points: 250

egress code

Bear in mind that in order for a room to qualify as a legal bedroom the window usually needs to be a certain size relative to the square footage of the room ... or at least that's the code in some parts. Again that's why you need to assertion the code requirements of your area before doing anything else ... anything to do with installing new windows needs a permit where we are so I can only really refer to our standards. Perhaps there is someone else from Chicago on here?? There are also usually regulations regarding the amount of overall window square footage you are allowed in any one wall and also where it looks out on to an adjoining property in some areas. Best to get advice from someone local.
Bonzai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 04:57 PM   #8
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 2,436

egress code

Most windows now, have clips that you push in, so that the window hinges on two pins, to give more clearance or remove the window units from the frame, so that you can egress.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 05:35 PM   #9
Exterior Construction

egress code

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregzoll View Post
Most windows now, have clips that you push in, so that the window hinges on two pins, to give more clearance or remove the window units from the frame, so that you can egress.
Greg,

Most inspectors that we deal with will not allow any "modification" of the unit and therefore the opening size must qualify under normal operation.
Old 06-24-2012, 06:27 PM   #10
Retired from the grind

egress code

There is no modification done to the windows. They should come that way from the factory. Any window made the days, should have the ability to dislodge them from the frame, so that the panels can be removed for egress.

This includes the type that the OP is talking about. Manufacturer can confirm. The only ones that do not allow removal for safety reasons, are those in place in hotels and high rises.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?

Last edited by gregzoll; 06-24-2012 at 10:05 PM.
Old 06-24-2012, 09:58 PM   #11

egress code

it seems i am going to get okna's.
Old 06-25-2012, 06:00 AM   #12
Exterior Construction

egress code

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregzoll View Post
There is no modification done to the windows. They should come that way from the factory. Any window made the days, should have the ability to dislodge them from the frame, so that the panels can be removed for egress.

This includes the type that the OP is talking about. Manufacturer can confirm. The only ones that do not allow removal for safety reasons, are those in place in hotels and high rises.
Greg,

I know exactly what you speak of and understand that it is not a "modification". In this case, the Okna slider can be removed from the frame and the window should be installed without the head clips that are designed to tighten up the head spacing and prevent the lift out and removal of the sash.

My point was that at the end of the day, the code is, in large part, up to the interpretation of the inspector.

I agree that a slider that can be lifted out of the tracks and set aside is compliant, however, you might have issues with the inspector and before you go and invest in that window type and size, you might want to have some additional reassurances.

R310.1.3, and such devices shall be releasable or removable from the inside without the use of a key, tool or force greater than that which is required for normal operation of the escape and rescue opening.

Lifting the window out of the tracks might approach that idea of "force greater than" normal operation.
Old 06-25-2012, 08:28 AM   #13
Retired from the grind

egress code

The inspector would have to be a idiot to not realize that the window is compliant that way. I totally disagree on the part with you about the inspector not liking, due to if the sticker or manufacturer materials are avail., it would have to be a total ignoramus to think that it was non-compliant as how the window was made by the company that built it.

As for a true egress Window, which for those spaces such as a basement, yes you have to be able to have a wide enough swing. I will tell you this, if a fire crew wants into a home, it does not take long to take a axe or pike to remove the glass and window slider from the frame.

And no, lifting the window is no more force than what is used for normal operation.
Old 06-25-2012, 08:51 AM   #14
Exterior Construction

egress code

I think we are talking about different things here.

I am talking about the slider that the poster originally posted about.

If I were an inspector, lifting the sash out of the frame an moving the glass out of the way for egress would not be acceptable and is not at all relative to the normal effort required to operate the window. While I can easily do it, the reality is that a child or person of smaller stature cannot.

Most customers do not like the idea of leaving out the lock blocks at the top of the other sash as well from a security standpoint.

This is why most customers choose a casement or inswing tilt and turn of suitable size.
The Following User Says Thank You to Windows on Wash For This Useful Post:
gregzoll (06-25-2012)
Old 06-25-2012, 09:10 AM   #15
Retired from the grind

egress code

Just looking at it from two different perspectives. As for the OP, unless they post more information on these units, such as manufacturer spec's, we are assuming too much.

Advertisement

The Following User Says Thank You to gregzoll For This Useful Post:
Windows on Wash (06-25-2012)