Easy Open Window? - Windows and Doors - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Windows and Doors

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-24-2013, 07:06 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 780

easy open window?

A a window above my sink is foggy and needs replaced.

My problem is that I can't open it. I don't have the leverage needed to lift it. I sprayed it with WD4 and could open it easier, but then it wouldn't stay up.

Browsed Home Depot and they recommended a crank side opening window. I'm not sure I want that. I had crank windows yrs ago and after a while they didn't close tightly. I suppose that's my only option other than a single hung window.

This window is 30 y.o. Maybe a newer vinyl windows are easier to open?

The other problem is I don't have someone to install it and am not sold on the idea of Home Depot doing it.

Advertisement

Startingover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 07:20 AM   #2
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 3,192

easy open window?

If you do choose crank out casements, I suggest Anderson, by far the most trouble free for many years.

Look to a long established window and door company for selection and installation.

Depots installations are inconsistent---sometimes good other times unacceptable---

Advertisement

Startingover (05-24-2013)
Old 05-24-2013, 07:30 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 580

easy open window?

No one here can see your house from here so a picture would be a big help when suggesting a window.
Depending on what you have now you may be able to just replace yours with a replacement window.
What's yours made of?
What type siding do you have?
oh'mike (05-24-2013), Startingover (05-24-2013)
Old 05-24-2013, 08:32 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,000

easy open window?

I like casement windows. They close tightly and its easy to clean the outside glass..from the inside
creeper is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to creeper For This Useful Post:
Old 05-24-2013, 11:53 AM   #5

easy open window?

this site has been troublesome to me for some reason. First I couldn't find "windows and doors" forum. Then I replied to post and couldn't see it. maybe this isn't my day.

Mike, that's exactly what I've heard about HD. Some good some bad.

Joe, I have a brick home. It's just a typical window above the sink. It is about 4" above the sink, then with having to lean over the sink I'm not strong enough to open it. (even with all the painting I've done this year.)

Creeper, I looked up the term 'casement'. It's the same as what I was calling crank opening windows? Right? I suppose that's what I'll have to get. Here in Fla. I can enjoy fresh air in the spring and fall, which is nice so want a window that I can open.

All the windows in this house are foggy and need replaced but they have to wait till I save $$.
Old 05-24-2013, 03:17 PM   #6
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 3,192

easy open window?

With a brick opening, you may have trouble finding a casement window in the correct size somewhat difficult.

Double hung windows (what you have now) have different rough opening sizes than casements----
Old 05-24-2013, 06:27 PM   #7

easy open window?

mike, thanks for the warning. Nothing is ever easy. I'll make it a goal to find a reputable window Co.

Many houses in this city are all relatively the same age so I need to find out what others have done with the same foggy problem.
The Following User Says Thank You to Startingover For This Useful Post:
oh'mike (05-24-2013)
Old 05-24-2013, 07:25 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 580

easy open window?

No such thing as a typical window, All vinyl windows are made to size.
The easyest to open window may be a casement window, but there the most leak and problum prone windows.
HomeSealed (05-24-2013), Startingover (05-24-2013)
Old 05-24-2013, 08:11 PM   #9
Home Performance

Rewards Points: 590

easy open window?

ALL vinyl windows are custom made to order, no such thing as stock sizes. Most wood offerings either already have or are in the process of moving to that as well. Casement windows offer the best seal out of the box, but as joe mentioned, the are generally more prone to issues down the road due to more moving parts and all of that weight stressing the hardware when they are open. That said, casements and awnings (open from the bottom) are very appealing over the kitchen sink as they offer a nice clear view, and you don't blow a disc in your back trying to reach over and open it.
If your existing window won't stay up, it probably just has a busted balance. That said, at 30 yrs, it is about time for replacement. In fla, PGT , Gorell, and simonton are solid options that should be available.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to HomeSealed For This Useful Post:
oh'mike (05-24-2013), Startingover (05-24-2013)
Old 05-26-2013, 06:49 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 75

easy open window?

I am an Andersen guy. I would go, budget permitting, with AW 400 series window. Like it was stated earlier, DH to casement usually do not have the same size, but usually close enough. With casements, they are better for air/water infiltration. If installed properly, there is little maintenance to either type of window. A little lube( not WD-40, silicone or teflon) and you will be good to go for years and years.
To give you an idea, about 2 years ago, I replaced some sash from about 8 Andersen windows from 1973. The HO wanted to improve the effiency of her old double pane windows to the Low-E glass. She was adament about cleaning her window tracks and lubing with silicone. After 40 years, her windows were still operating like new.

Advertisement

mknasa dad is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mknasa dad For This Useful Post:
Startingover (05-30-2013)