Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Windows and Doors

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-09-2012, 05:24 PM   #1

Share |

Drilling into a vinyl casement window

Hi,, I have a Weathershield Pro Series Vinyl Casement Window,, I have replaced the operator, but, there is a metal piece, that has three screw holes, for three anchoring screws that hold this small metal to the bottom of the window sash frame, the arm from the operator snaps into a hole drilled for the operator,,,,,,

the screws that go into the vinyl window , vinyl only, not vinyl clad,, will not hold into the frame when you try to crank the operator to close,,, it will close within about two inches of closing,,,

but because the screws are loose, the metal mount on the sash frame does not hold against the sash snugly to allow the opener to close fully

How do I get the three screws to anchor solidly into the vinyl sash frame ? Bigger screw size, epoxy into the screw hole ?

The original, existing screw holes will not hold the screws tightly, when closing the window, when it is about two inches from closing fully, the metal with the tree screws, will not hold tight against the sash frame, because the screws will not hold tight into the vinyl
Thank you

Last edited by rmh@newburgh; 11-09-2012 at 05:31 PM. Reason: Better attempt at explaining my question
rmh@newburgh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 07:38 PM   #2
DIY staff

I moved this to windows and doors for you---be patient---we have some good window experts here but they may take a little while to answer you----

Old 11-10-2012, 06:28 AM   #3
Exterior Construction

Particle board screws work very well. They have a larger tooth to them and tend not to destroy the thread path going in.
Windows on Wash is online now   Reply With Quote