Double Windows - Windows and Doors - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Windows and Doors

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-13-2012, 09:23 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Double windows

I am going to be adding windows to my home. Currently I have double paned windows. I am going to install new windows on the interior side of the exsisting windows. I am not going to remove the older windows. Most of the windows are view windows and do not open. My question is if I put in windows that do not open will the glass on the inside of the new and old window fog up? If so, what can I do to prevent this. For the sake of preventing enery loss, I do not want to the inside window to open, but if there is no way of preventing this formation of fog, I guess I will.

Advertisement

lonerinalaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 12:57 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 616

Double windows

My my main question is why?

Are there issues with the old windows?

Why would you not want to install storm windows on the outside instead of inside?

Advertisement

joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 02:37 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

Double windows

The existing windows are suitable. But with the -20 winter temps, I want additional protection from the cold. I have no reason or desire to remove the old windows and and then have to deal with the finish work on the outside of the house. I have walls that are about 10" thick and so there is plenty of room on the interior side to add another window. I would have to ask why would you remove good windows and loose the addition r value and money?" In northern climates a lot of homes have double windows, however, they are both generally windows that open. The windows I am refering to do not and I would prefer to keep that going with the new windows. I am just trying to figure out if there is a way to treat the glass or otherwise install it to prevent any moisture build up in the way of fog. In addition storm covers are not an option. They would be impossible to open and close on a daily basis due to the large snow drifts I get around my home and thus a waste of money. I try to modify things to make daily life easier, not more complicated. Anyone who has a possible solution to the dilema I presented would be helpful.
lonerinalaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 05:32 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 89

Double windows

Seal the inner windows as air tight as you can make them, but avoid making the attachment "permanent". Allow yourself the ability to remove them if necessary.

Since the inner windows aren't going to open, they are essentially inside storm windows. Make sure they are dual pane IG units with a LowE coating on surface 3.

If you don't mind the look, drop a bag of desiccant between the inner and outer windows before you close them up. The desiccant will suck up excess moisture and lower the dew point between the windows making fogging/icing much less likely.

If you live in a rainy, wet, coastal region make sure that the outer window is also sealed tight agains moisture getting into the space between the windows - and really consider using the desiccant.

If you live in a drier, colder region don't worry about sealing the outer window tight. I am not suggesting loose, but allow it to breathe naturally. A few small air leaks won't be a bad thing.

If you don't use the desiccant bag between the lites, and you live ina dry region, then for sure allow the outer lite to breathe...even to the point of cracking it open just a tiny bit.
oberon is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
remodeling , windows