Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Windows and Doors

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-03-2014, 11:22 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 25

Double Hung tilt Vinyl Window - What is broken and who can fix it?

We are in the process of selling our house and I went through the entire house cleaning all the vinyl windows inside and out (which I admittedly haven't done in quite a long time). The windows are in relatively good overall condition and are 11-12 years old.

When tilting the windows in, I seem to have broken the same part in 2 of the windows, but I'm not sure exactly what it is that I broke and how easily it can be replaced (or even who to contact to fix them). The tilt latches on the top of window are fine, but it is whatever holds the bottom of the window in the frame that I think is broken. Some internet searches lead me to believe that it may be the pivot bar, balance shoe, or both? One of the windows is now extremely difficult to open or close. The other one can still be opened and closed, but it is very noticeable that the bottom part of the window is only being held into the track on 1 side.

I'm not sure how to identify the window manufacturer, so if this is a pivot bar or balance shoe issue, who should I contact to repair it? Are those pretty standard parts or will it require knowing the manufacturer to get the appropriate replacement parts?

We have a potential contract with a buyer who is getting an FHA loan, so my worry is that the FHA inspection will fail because of these 2 windows. Can anyone advise what this problem sounds like and how I should go about getting it fixed? Thanks!

CubsWin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 12:20 AM   #2
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 2,216

Sorry but my crystal ball is broken. Is there a picture that was supposed to be attached to your post?

Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 06:29 AM   #3
Exterior Construction

Rewards Points: 2,466

Picture will help here and these guys are break for parts:

http://www.blainewindow.com/index.php
Windows on Wash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 01:36 PM   #4

Here is a picture from inside one of the window tracks. The other window is so difficult to open that I don't even want to mess with it right now, but I imagine it is a similar problem.

Old 06-04-2014, 08:39 PM   #5
Exterior Construction

Balance shoe/clutch assembly. All serviceable.
The Following User Says Thank You to Windows on Wash For This Useful Post:
CubsWin (06-04-2014)
Old 06-04-2014, 08:42 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windows on Wash View Post
Balance shoe/clutch assembly. All serviceable.
How do I determine the correct parts to order (or who to contact for service)? I found these stickers on my windows, but I haven't been able to track down a manufacturer based on any of this info.

Old 06-04-2014, 09:16 PM   #7
Retired from the grind

Give the information to one of the various companies online that sell replacement parts. Or disclose to the buyer that there are issues with the windows. They do appear to be "Off the shelf" windows.

As for the FHA inspection. They will not even bother writing them up. All they will care about is if the doors open and close, there is hot water, no wiring issues, gfci outlets or breakers for the appropriate areas, roof does not look like it is going to collapse.

FHA inspections are not as bad as you think. We had Post to Pillar do our home inspection. It was actually more of a joke than anything. If it was a real inspection. A lot more problems would have been found, that I found shortly moving in.

The only major thing with our place, was that the house still had a fuse panel. Replacement by the seller. Was the only contingency that my wife made when she signed the purchase agreement.

Swisco.com has a lot of parts. Try them. http://www.swisco.com/cl/Tilt-Window...vot-Lock-Shoes
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
The Following User Says Thank You to gregzoll For This Useful Post:
CubsWin (06-04-2014)
Old 06-04-2014, 11:08 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 1,002

Hey Cubby,
Did the windows work fine before you tilted them in to wash? That round metal piece that has the slot shaped opening in it holds the pin that sticks out of the lower corner of the window. When you tilt the window in and lower it so it is about 90 degrees from its normal position, that metal piece locks itself in the channel so you can lift the window all the way out if you want. When you go to put the sash back in, you have to be careful and gently insert the pins back into the slots on the metal pieces. Once both pins are in, you raise pivot the sash back up and snap the little catches on the upper part of the sash back in and you should be back to where you started and the window should move up and down nicely. What happens many times is one of the pins doesn't end up in the slot so when you raise the window into place, only one spring balance is engaged, causing the window to bind up in the track. Just a thought before you order new parts.
Mike Hawkins
firehawkmph is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to firehawkmph For This Useful Post:
CubsWin (06-04-2014), gregzoll (06-04-2014)
Old 06-04-2014, 11:22 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregzoll View Post
FHA inspections are not as bad as you think. We had Post to Pillar do our home inspection. It was actually more of a joke than anything. If it was a real inspection. A lot more problems would have been found, that I found shortly moving in.
That makes me feel a little better. I still would like to get the windows fixed for them though, since it seems like a relatively easy fix if I can find the right parts. I need to get over this conscience thing that has me wanting to leave the new owners with everything in perfect working order.

Quote:
Originally Posted by firehawkmph View Post
Did the windows work fine before you tilted them in to wash?
They did, but if you look closely at the picture it is the round metal piece that is broken. The other window looks the same way. I'm not sure why 2 of them broke at the same time, but as I mentioned I hadn't tilted them in years so I guess it was just age. There are cutouts at the top of the track, so if I knew what shoe assembly to order it seems very straightforward to just slide the old shoe out and replace it with a new one.

Last edited by CubsWin; 06-04-2014 at 11:39 PM.
Old 06-04-2014, 11:47 PM   #10
Retired from the grind

Call Swisco, or send them an email with the same photos you posted on here, and description. They helped me out, when I was trying to find parts for one of my windows.
The Following User Says Thank You to gregzoll For This Useful Post:
CubsWin (06-04-2014)
Old 06-05-2014, 04:12 AM   #11
Exterior Construction

Quote:
Originally Posted by firehawkmph View Post
Hey Cubby,
Did the windows work fine before you tilted them in to wash? That round metal piece that has the slot shaped opening in it holds the pin that sticks out of the lower corner of the window. When you tilt the window in and lower it so it is about 90 degrees from its normal position, that metal piece locks itself in the channel so you can lift the window all the way out if you want. When you go to put the sash back in, you have to be careful and gently insert the pins back into the slots on the metal pieces. Once both pins are in, you raise pivot the sash back up and snap the little catches on the upper part of the sash back in and you should be back to where you started and the window should move up and down nicely. What happens many times is one of the pins doesn't end up in the slot so when you raise the window into place, only one spring balance is engaged, causing the window to bind up in the track. Just a thought before you order new parts.
Mike Hawkins
+1

I see where the parts are broken but this is the number 1 user error that we see by customers.

They may still work, even though the ears on the shoe are busted.
Old 06-05-2014, 01:26 PM   #12

Well, the good news is that I believe Swisco has identified the proper part for me. The bad news is that I didn't realize the shoe is connected to another piece above by some sort of metal coil. Not only that, there is an exposed screw that prevents me from sliding up to the cutout, so I think the only way out is a jamb spreader (which of course I don't have). I thought I could fix this myself, but it may be time to start calling around.
Old 06-05-2014, 06:10 PM   #13
Retired from the grind

Those Springs can break also. I have an issue with the window in our Kitchen, that the top Shoe broke. So the spring bar will drop out of the bottom every time you raise the window.

I have gotten to were, when I raise the window. I just raise the window and push the tension bar up to keep the window from tilting in the track.
Old 06-06-2014, 06:17 AM   #14
Exterior Construction

If you have a heat gun, you can do it.

Feel free to PM me and I can walk you through it.
Old 06-06-2014, 04:32 PM   #15
Retired from the grind

Wash. I found out that even though I gave the proper dimensions on those stops I ordered for my window. I ended up with either the caps being off, or the spring needs to be replaced.

On mine, like the OP. He may be in the same boat I am. Probably easier to just replace the window, then end up finding out that you get the wrong parts, or it costs more for fixing the broken ones.