Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Windows and Doors

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-24-2012, 03:24 PM   #1

Share |

Double-glazing "industrial" windows for insulation

I live in NYC have a warehouse spaces that has a LARGE window (see attachment) which needs to have the 54 glass panes in the window re-caulked, and some of the panes replaced.

I can remove the putty around the existing glass and install new glass but I'd like to make this entire window better insulated

So, I was thinking of installing double-glased glass panes. Is this do-able and anyone have an approx cost (thousands of $? Many hundreds of $? a few hundred $? Less than a hundred $??) of this sort of thing? Remember, there are 54 individual panes in this window.

[If it is going to be too expensive, I was thinking of doubling-up on the glass panes, sort of making my own double-glazed glass, by placing some strips of foam insulation around the first pane, then placing a second pane right next to that, and holding it all together with glazers' putty -- but I'm worried about condensation between the two panes)

Thank you
Attached Thumbnails
Double-glazing "industrial" windows for insulation-windows.jpg  

Last edited by Lizzieb; 09-24-2012 at 03:41 PM.
Lizzieb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 09:17 PM   #2
Exterior Construction

Double-glazing "industrial" windows for insulation

Don't bother with it.

It is likely that the glazing thickness of the insulated glass unit (IGU) will not be able to fit into the existing frame and that it will be cost prohibitive.

You could look into either interior or exterior storms if the issue is heat loss.

If the issue is heat gain, look into one of the available solar control films.

Windows on Wash is offline   Reply With Quote