Door Trim Width Problem - Windows and Doors - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Windows and Doors

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-28-2013, 12:40 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Door trim width problem

I am adding new door casing/trim to my interior doors after replacing the frames. I was planning on using between 2" and 2 1/2" wide casing and didn't want to go any narrower since I needed that much to cover up the drywall dings, etc next to the frame.

My problem is that one bedroom door is at the end of the hall, and the space between the frame and the wall on both sides of the hall are less than two inches. To further complicate things, the walls aren't real straight since the measurements from where the casing would start to the wall varies from 1 1/4 inches at the bottom to almost 1 1/2 inches at the top. The casing has to go right to the wall since due to the shims, there is nothing there but air.

So how do I approach this problem? Do I buy the same size casing (2 inches) for all doors and cut the ones for this one door down with a table saw or buy a different width trim for this one door, or what?

Another question is if it's ok to nail the trim to the frame with a finishing gun... the frames are MDF.... they won't split will they?

Advertisement

Last edited by eveready11; 07-28-2013 at 12:43 AM.
eveready11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 07:39 AM   #2
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 3,234

Door trim width problem

You will want to scribe the trim into the corner---

Use your table saw or a belt sander--or an angle grinder set up with 38 grit paper,back to back----

Advertisement

Old 07-28-2013, 08:17 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 632

Door trim width problem

Casing is going to come 2-1/4" wide.
You would be far better off with real wood, not MDF in this case.
There should have been solid wood nailers used when setting the jambs, not those thick blocks. Now you have you good way to nail the casing, especially in the top corners.
Your going to have to rip the right side at an angle and preassemble the casings with finish nails and glue and lift the whole thing in place so the corners will stay flush.