Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Windows and Doors

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-10-2013, 12:59 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 150

Door threshold height

Hi all,

In a few weeks I will be installing an in-swing exterior patio door where a window currently is. My existing flooring is the original hardwood, which is attached directly to the floor joists (old house). I'm assuming eventually (who knows when) I will be redoing the floor and I'd rather not run into issues with the height of the door threshold on this door.

So, should I raise the door off of the existing floor? If so, what height and how? Just a piece of wood nailed or screwed to it? I'm thinking it should be raised 1 1/4" since if I redo the floors it will probably require 1/2" plywood and then 3/4" flooring. At the same time, I can't raise it too much because the direction of the door swing runs under a bulk head, which is already dangerously close to blocking the door from swinging all the way open.

Thoughts?

benleef is offline   Reply With Quote