Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Windows and Doors

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-10-2012, 11:44 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Door Question: Access Control (Keypad Lock) for Church

I apologize if this is not in the correct forum. Our church is in great need of a keypad lock (wireless connecting to the internet would be ideal but we can live with a stand alone) so people can get in with codes and not keys. Being a church we are have very tight budget and we are looking for the most economical solution. The door that wew would like to use is an exit door on the side of the church with a push bar (rim) made by Yale, series 2000. I believe there are keypad locks designed for push bars but none of them seem to be compatible with this push bar so I think we'd need to buy a new push bar unless someone has an alternative solution. Schlage also makes a Link lever that is $200. I think since the door is pre-bored that we can just install that right in but I'm not sure if we would be code compliant if we didn't have a push bar. Could we just move the push bar over and still be code compliant with the Schlage in place and the push bar. This is the Schlage product http://www.amazon.com/Schlage-Wirele...8895680&sr=8-2 and it would allow us to have all the functionality we need. I just don't know if we would be code compliant.

The alternative is a push bar solution which is more expensive. The pictures below are of the door and the hardware.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Attached Images

Last edited by pbishopp; 02-10-2012 at 11:52 AM.
pbishopp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 12:14 PM   #2
Too Short? Cut it Again!

I would call a locksmith for this. I know budget is tight but it will save you time, money and anguish in the long run. And they will stand behind the solution offered and installed.

user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 12:53 PM   #3

In many places you have to have the push bar for fire escape reasons and the like.
What works for some is the installation of a regular household deadbolt, could use a keypad model.
The pushbar is locked in the open position, the door closer keeps the door shut. Deadbolt is only used to lock the building when nobody is inside.
Talk to your local building inspector to find out what is required.
mae-ling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 03:37 PM   #4
Mold!! Let's kill it!

Simplex makes an exterior trim unit for exit devices that would work. They make a couple of different styles for different devices.

http://www.locksmithtoolandsupply.co...gory_Code=5010

See that sign above the door. That means the door must be available for free egress at all times. You DON"T want to add a second locking device to the door. That will be a violation. Not only of building code, but llife safety codes and it doesn't matter who's in the building.

Last edited by Maintenance 6; 02-10-2012 at 03:42 PM.
Maintenance 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Maintenance 6 For This Useful Post:
user1007 (02-10-2012), Windows on Wash (02-12-2012)