Door Latch And Lock Doesn't Close Properly - Windows and Doors - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Windows and Doors

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-11-2011, 01:16 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 25

door latch and lock doesn't close properly

My front door latch and lock used to have no problem closing. In the last few months it has become increasingly difficult to close the front door because the latch doesn't fit the hole, and neither does the lock. I have to lift the handle (and thus the whole door) up in order for the latch to fit.

Any suggestions on how to fix the problem?

Thanks.

Advertisement

grgryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 01:21 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,000

check the screws in the hinges first and make sure they are all tight. sometimes things have moved over time. most of the time this will take care of it or a 3 inch screw in the top hinge will pull the door back into position. worst case is the house settled on the hinge side. does the door look square in the opening or is the top edge of the door closer to the door jamb then it is at the bottom?

Advertisement

Last edited by DannyT; 07-11-2011 at 01:28 PM.
DannyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 01:33 PM   #3

One of the screws isn't tight, but when I tried to tighten it, found that the wood must be stripped because I could not tighten it. I suspect that the door frame has shifted and is not square because both the door handle latch and the deadbolt don't line up.

I'd rather not change the whole door because the house might shift again. Maybe it's the very hot weather that causes some shift?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyT View Post
check the screws in the hinges first and make sure they are all tight. sometimes things have moved over time. most of the time this will take care of it or a 3 inch screw in the top hinge will pull the door back into position. worst case is the house settled on the hinge side. does the door look square in the opening or is the top edge of the door closer to the door jamb then it is at the bottom?
Old 07-11-2011, 01:36 PM   #4

try a longer screw in the top hinge. did you tighten the screws in the door and the frame?

Last edited by DannyT; 07-11-2011 at 01:45 PM.
Old 07-17-2011, 01:07 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 10

Sounds like you need to make adjustments to the panel of the door. Depending on the brand, typically you should have about 1/4" play for adjustments in the hinges. This is to accomidate for setteling over the years. Also, be sure that there is a long screw ran in the center of the hinge. This can also cause a panel to sag. The door does not need to be replaced. Dips/humps in the head or sill of the frame can also cause a door to loose adjustment. This would be an installtion issue and can be determined with a level.
Windowgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 01:47 AM   #6

Thanks, I ended up having to move the panels on the door frame. (See the attachments). The screw that was loose, was on the door handle panel (I misunderstood DannyT's post). The screws at the door hinge were tight, so I didn't make any adjustments.

Hopefully the door frame (or house) won't move again.

Thanks for the tips.
Attached Thumbnails
door latch and lock doesn't close properly-imag0210.jpg   door latch and lock doesn't close properly-imag0211.jpg  
Old 07-25-2011, 10:30 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 2,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windowgirl View Post
Depending on the brand, typically you should have about 1/4" play for adjustments in the hinges. This is to accomidate for setteling over the years.
I've never seen hinges like that. Do you have a picture of these adjustable hinges?
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 10:56 PM   #8

here are some adjustable exterior hinges

http://www.adjustabledoorhinge.com/exterior-hinges.html

Advertisement