Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Windows and Doors

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-16-2014, 08:48 AM   #1

Share |

Door knob hard to open

Recently we've been having problems with the door knob on our front door. When we turn the handle the latch doesn't retract all the way. This makes it tough to open. Any suggestions will be appreciated.

bucksone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 08:53 AM   #2

Door knob hard to open

Could be dry and need a little lube.Could be old and worn.Could be binding on the strike plate and need adjusting.Door could be swollen due to humidity.Kind of hard to tell with the information given.

mako1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mako1 For This Useful Post:
Jay123 (03-21-2014), oh'mike (03-16-2014)
Old 03-16-2014, 09:24 AM   #3

Door knob hard to open

Open the door and see if the latch moves in and out freely.
If it does then close the door just enough till it touches the latch plate and mark it at the top and bottom.
Now open the door and see where the marks are in relationship to the hole in the strike plate. To high or to low then the hinge screws could be loose or stripped.
Often time just remove on of the hinge screws and replacing with a 3" screw will lift or lower it enough to line up.
Windows on Wash (03-16-2014)
Old 03-21-2014, 08:38 AM   #4

Door knob hard to open

I had a similar situation with my entry door and yes, the lube can help, but only for some short period of time. Shortly after I processed the door knob with a lube the latch began to seize again. So, I've decided not to torment myself over this and replaced the old entry door knob with new one. At first I had difficulties with finding the right item for my entry door (it has quite a sophisticated design), but later I came across the right door knob on this website. Now I don't have problems with door opening system.

Last edited by Jonathon C.; 03-21-2014 at 09:06 AM.
Jonathon C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 01:45 PM   #5

Door knob hard to open

I purchased a house that was built in 1915. There is a door in the kitchen (actually there are 3- one goes downstairs, one goes upstairs, one is a bathroom door) that leads to the second story which is where the master bedroom and bathroom are located. The stairs are a bit shallower and steeper than normal stairs. In addition, as soon as you open the door you make a 90
degree turn to the left. It is very awkward to reach for the door knob from the stairs. My thoughts are placing some kind of band on the door knob with a thin wire/string attached that I can run up the inside of the door around an inexpensive pulley with a handle on the end. This will allow for me to easily turn the door handle when I am coming down the stairs. I've already installed a handle that I use to close the door the behind me as I am going up the stairs. Any advice on how to accomplish this task (supplies, where to get them, etc.) would be greatly appreciated!

~Marc
mpagnotta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 08:11 PM   #6

Door knob hard to open

mpagnotta-- what about removing the door handle and replacing with dummy handles and replace hinges with self closing hinges. nice hijack of thread
ramjet_40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 08:55 PM   #7

Door knob hard to open

Ramjet 40- That is a good idea. One that I didn't think of. My only concern is we have a 16 month old and the stairs are quite steep. My preference would be for the mechanism to be engaged, giving us peace of mind that our little one is safe. I'm also hesitant to remove any of the hardware from the house because I am quite certain it is all original. For $7 I bought a vintage bin pull that I installed on the inside (stairs side as opposed to kitchen side) of the door, and it works fantastic in providing something to grab onto when I walk through the door to go up the stairs (the door mechanism will engage without having to turn the handle). If I could just figure out how to install a pull chain, or string or something with a handle on the end that would turn the door knob when the handle was pulled, I really believe that would be ideal. What are your thoughts? Thanks,
Marc
mpagnotta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 09:43 AM   #8

Door knob hard to open

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
Open the door and see if the latch moves in and out freely.
If it does then close the door just enough till it touches the latch plate and mark it at the top and bottom.
Now open the door and see where the marks are in relationship to the hole in the strike plate. To high or to low then the hinge screws could be loose or stripped.
Often time just remove on of the hinge screws and replacing with a 3" screw will lift or lower it enough to line up.
The latch moves in and out freely, it just doesn't retract all of the way into the door.

The lock is a Kwikset Titan, if that helps.

Last edited by bucksone; 03-27-2014 at 09:44 AM. Reason: omitted word
Old 04-16-2014, 10:22 AM   #9

Door knob hard to open

Replaced the doorknob. All is well now.