DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum (
-   Windows and Doors (
-   -   Door glass framing and glass replacement (

housegsx 12-15-2011 03:43 PM

Door glass framing and glass replacement
1 Attachment(s)

Below is a picture of one of my doors.
What is the part of the door called that breaks up/frames the glass? Also, is that generally 1 piece of glass or would that be 6 pieces?

And how would I go about replacing the glass? Looking at another door, I see the frame pieces might be nailed in, and if that's the case how do I take it apart without damaging everything?


Attachment 42601

titanoman 12-15-2011 05:07 PM

On newer doors and windows that's called a grid and the glass is one piece. Older doors have individual panes that are "glazed" in using putty. The old putty must be scrapped out then the glass will fall out in your hands.
Why do you want to get the glass out?

Sent from a Samsung Galaxy S2

housegsx 12-15-2011 05:52 PM


Originally Posted by titanoman (Post 794817)
Why do you want to get the glass out?

This is an old mud room that I'm turning into a 1/2 bath. I want to replace the glass with mirror. I thought it might look cool as well as add privacy to turn the window into a bathroom mirror. Thinking about permanently blocking off the door and putting a sink in front of it. Then put a shelf underneath overtop the sink. I have already installed a new toilet on the opposite wall.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:48 AM.

User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2016 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.