Door Gap - Windows and Doors - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Windows and Doors

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-29-2011, 06:58 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Door Gap

The previous owners replaced a window in the bedroom with a door for outside access. The issue is there is a fairly large gap where the door does not close fully to contact the horizontal vinyl door seal at the bottom of the door (it fits prefectly starting at the middle to the top of the jamb). If I push on the door the gap will close. The door appears plumb at the top (gap is consistent). How would I adjust the door to correct the gap? Thanks in advance.

Door Gap-img_0507.jpg

Advertisement

Easypick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 07:35 PM   #2

Door Gap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easypick View Post
The previous owners replaced a window in the bedroom with a door for outside access. The issue is there is a fairly large gap where the door does not close fully to contact the horizontal vinyl door seal at the bottom of the door (it fits prefectly starting at the middle to the top of the jamb). If I push on the door the gap will close. The door appears plumb at the top (gap is consistent). How would I adjust the door to correct the gap? Thanks in advance.

Attachment 38886
Can't really tell, but from that picture it could be a couple things. The door itself could be warped (like someone kicked it from the outside while it was closed). Or when they installed the door that leg of the jamb was not installed plumb.

Advertisement

RB101011 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to RB101011 For This Useful Post:
oh'mike (09-29-2011)
Old 09-30-2011, 09:23 AM   #3
Exterior Construction

Rewards Points: 3,318

Door Gap

Need a larger picture.

The door does not look that racked our out of square from there because the reveal is fairly consistent.

Take a larger picture of the door and a picture of the inside where it meets the frame at the weatherstripping connection.
Windows on Wash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 04:46 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 81

Door Gap

I hate to hijack the thread, especially before the OP gets an answer, but I have a very similar problem. Our front door has a 3/8" gap between the door and the stop in the top swing corner (side away from hinges).

Here are a bunch photos.

There is a small amount of sag as seen in the top gap (less than the photos make it look like), but the side must have been planed since it's pretty even (or the jamb isn't square). There's no rubbing-- the issue is just the gap. Since it goes from nothing at the bottom to 3/8" at the top, it's too uneven to be weatherstripped. BTW, this is a 100 year old, unimproved door, so there is no weatherstripping in place now.

I used a 4-foot level and there is no warping of the door, stops or jamb. The level shows the stop is slightly out of plumb, but when I close the door it's out of plumb by pretty much the same amount.

Intuitively, my guess would be that I need to move the lower hinge away from the stop, and that would push the opposite corner towards the stop. But, if I do that I just move the gap to the lower hinge corner. Is my only option to remove the stops and install them so they match the door? I can't think of anything else. A consistent gap is OK-- I can install weatherstripping-- but the varying gap here won't work.

BTW, I know the door and trim desperately need to be stripped and repainted. It's on the list. A very, very long list.... My goal for now is to get this gap sealed before winter comes and worry about the aesthetics later.

Thanks,
Matt
gatorheel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 06:09 PM   #5

Door Gap

Thanks for the input. I took a look and the jamb was plumb. The best I could tell the door was not warped, so I thought I try loosening the bottom hinge and shimming ever so slightly. That worked. Door doesn't bind at top and the gap is gone.
Easypick is offline   Reply With Quote