Dog Proof Door/gate/barrier??!! - Windows and Doors - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Windows and Doors

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-29-2011, 03:03 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Question

Dog proof door/gate/barrier??!!

Hi guys, I suppose I should be in the dog behavioral forum instead of DIY - but please bear with me. We have 3 dogs, they are not house dogs. They stay outside during the day if weather is tolerable, the rest of the time they stay in our unfinished basement, and occasionally upstairs with us. We have unfinished stairs leading from the basement up to our living area. We have a child gate type barrier about 4' from the floor made from some sort of hard plastic. It works great for the two little dogs, but our big dog has taken to jumping over the gate, clearing the steps and on to the landing about 4 steps up. We are afraid he will get hurt, and it also creates a ruckus with the other dogs. We have tried blocking it with chairs, etc. and he figures out a way to effortlessly get over the darn thing.

My question is, do you have any suggestions for a simple door or other barrier to install at the bottom of the steps that will keep him out. We prefer not to close it off with a door completely, but may have to. Any easy, inexpensive suggestions? Appearance is not an issue - our little dog chews up every thing on his level - chunks of drywall, wood framing, you name it - and he is way beyond puppy stage.

Thanks for any helpful response - we won't get rid of the dogs - we have already considered a dog whisperer, but none in our area.

Thanks!

Advertisement

wrkrambs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 04:17 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 75

A simple screen door should work. Pictures would help people give you better tops.

Advertisement

mrs fix it is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 05:58 PM   #3

Thanks, yes a screen door is a possibility - we would have to place some sort of aluminum guard over the screen part to keep him from clawing it out I'm afraid. Will see if I can come up with a picture to post - was at work when I found this forum.

One of the engineers that I work with suggested a cargo net like you put on truck beds in place of the tail gate. Our concern there is that he may try to get through it and get caught up in it.

Thanks again for your suggestion.
Old 11-29-2011, 06:21 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 252

Dutch door or storm door? Sounds like your little dog is bored.
shazapple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 06:41 PM   #5

Hey,I'm not sure about the little dog being bored - he has his best buddy alpha dog with him all the time - inseparable. She doesn't chew stuff up, but he is either getting into newspapers, insulation out of the walls, you name it. Alpha dog doesn't like it when he does it and barks to let us know he is misbehaving. I was thinking more like a half door, so we could see in without having to open it.
Old 11-29-2011, 10:31 PM   #6

A screen door should work well for you, but seriously consider getting the mesh grating inserts too (almost look like a chicken wire). I've always had big dogs and once they figure out that they can jump through the screen with little resistance, you're in trouble.
Justins1171 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 12:14 AM   #7

Thanks, - yes the mesh! That's it. I'm glad you know what I am talking about with the big dogs.

Thanks for all of you for the very good suggestions. My husband will be busy this weekend.
Old 12-04-2011, 05:45 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justins1171 View Post
A screen door should work well for you, but seriously consider getting the mesh grating inserts too (almost look like a chicken wire). I've always had big dogs and once they figure out that they can jump through the screen with little resistance, you're in trouble.
If it is off interest, there is also a pet-grade screen that is much stronger than standard window screen. I have used some on the screen patio around the pool. So far, it has held well with my two dogs.

David
Jessidog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 05:55 PM   #9

Hey, thanks David - I did not know that. That is good information.

Rhonda
Old 12-04-2011, 06:48 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrkrambs View Post
Hey, thanks David - I did not know that. That is good information.

Rhonda
I bought the screen at either Home Depot or Lowes; I cannot remember which one.

David

Advertisement

Jessidog is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dog , door , gate , stairs