Does Anyone RTV Their Windows? - Windows and Doors - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Windows and Doors

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-05-2014, 10:00 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Does anyone RTV their windows?

I have 2 window walls full of Pella Proline fixed windows. They all leak and one is rotten. All are out of warranty. Pella rep was out today and said all windows like this are only good for 10-12 years, and that everyone should seal the glass to cladding joint with RTV to seal it from leaking.

Does anyone else do this? Sounds like bull**** to have to do this. I think the truth is Pella windows suck.

Advertisement

Randy Fischer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 07:15 AM   #2
Exterior Construction

Rewards Points: 3,232

Randy,

Some folks do seal it but it is a bandage fix on an arterial wound. It will buy you some time but you need to start budgeting regardless.

Advertisement

Windows on Wash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 07:28 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 536

I've replaced many a Pella window and door, most where vinyl or aluminum clad.
Same story every time, the rep says it's the first time he's ever heard of an issue with that style window. All where just out of warranty.
I have one customer that the rep goes there every year to replace leaking sashes, replace broken cranks and replace screens with broken clips that you flip to remove the screens.
Old 03-07-2014, 10:30 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 10

Thanks for your advice, windows on Washington, I'm in Loudoun county (Purcellville), you support this area?
Randy Fischer is offline   Reply With Quote