Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Windows and Doors

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-04-2012, 07:01 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Question

DIY'ing a curtain pole bracket

Could use some help and advice.

We just moved into a house and its drafty, very much so. We are working on some stuff to resolve this but one of the things we have done it to get some curtains, to block the drafts from the worst doors, but as I was about to put them up I realised that there is too much of a gap between the doorway and the curtain and that they would block some but not all of the draft.

So this got me thinking and I have a solution but I could use some help.

btw, its a bog standard wooden pole

I want to cut in half the part I am supposed to attach to the wall, by doing this I should close the gap between the door and the curtain and reduce the draft. However, they are connected by attaching a plate to the wall (this plate has a bolt coming out of it) and then screwing the wooden holder into that.
My problem is that, once I cut this holder in half, I lose the bit that I am supposed to screw onto the attachment that is now on the wall. I was looking for a replacement for that but issue is that 1 I cant find any and 2 I dont even know what the thing is called so I have to describe it every time.
The one I am talking about uses a system where into the wooden pole holder they have screwed in a large wooden screw that is hollow with bolt threading in this hollow section.

So I am hoping someone know the name of this thing I am looking for and also where I can get it.
Also, I am looking for another plate (with the bolt sticking out) that I screw into the wall and that I later fit the wooden pole bracket to.
Anyone know where I can find these?

Please see attached pic for an illustration. Might be easier than my description
Attached Thumbnails
DIY'ing a curtain pole bracket-bracket45cp_small1.jpg  

Ethnod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 07:14 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 3,348

All that extra work instead of figuring out why the windows are leaking air and fixing that instead

How old is this house and is there still wooden framed windows with the old sash weights?

joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 07:27 AM   #3

Makes me sad when I have to quote myself but anyways.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethnod View Post
We are working on some stuff to resolve this but one of the things we have done
Before I get into it, the house is rented, no mine and as a result there is only so much I can do. As pointed out above, I am doing a tonne of other things and things have improved drastically.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
How old is this house and is there still wooden framed windows with the old sash weights?
No, the house was built in the 70's and we have PVC double glazed windows.

Not to be rude man but I did ask a specific question, if you can help please do so but criticizing me is not appreciated.
Old 10-04-2012, 07:16 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 1,000

look for hanger bolts. home depot has a few different sizes. you will need to drill a pilot hole in the piece so it doesn't split when you screw the hanger bolt in. possibly you could unscrew the one that is in there now and reuse it.
DannyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 06:09 AM   #5

DannyT, you are a legend. Thank you so much. Now at least I know what I am looking for