Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Windows and Doors

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-04-2012, 12:57 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 6
Share |
Question

Depth Position of Entry Door in Brick Wall

I need to install a ThermaThru fiberglass entry door whose jamb is 6.5" deep. The wall is brick and about 9" thick. I am not sure how I should position the door depthwise in the brick wall. Currently, there is no finish on the inside (i.e. framing or drywall), just exposed brick but I would like to finish it with regular 2x4 framing and drywall and then put some trim inside.

I have outlined the three choices in the exhibit and would appreciate if you could help me make the best choice considering the prospective finish on the inside.

Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Depth Position of Entry Door in Brick Wall-entrydoorbrickwall.jpg  

amakarevic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 04:55 AM   #2
Mod

Rewards Points: 44

You want the jamb to be flush with the interior finished wall. If you set it like you have illustrated in B the door will bind and not open fully.

The Following User Says Thank You to kwikfishron For This Useful Post:
amakarevic (06-04-2012)
Old 06-04-2012, 06:18 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by amakarevic View Post
Currently, there is no finish on the inside (i.e. framing or drywall), just exposed brick but I would like to finish it with regular 2x4 framing and drywall and then put some trim inside.
As previously stated, flush to the inside for the door swing. Not flush to the inside of the block, but flush to the inside of the proposed 2x4 wall with drywall and air gap.
amakarevic (06-04-2012)
Old 06-04-2012, 07:37 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 80

The way the outside block was installed also needs to be taken into concideration, you do not want the door frame to leave gaps around where the brick ends.

Most often in older brick homes there's a frame on the top and sides made of 2X lumber wide enough to cover the gap and even with the finished walls on the inside, and is sitting on top of a threshold of some sort, could be granite, marble, even real hardwood then the new door is set inside of that sitting even with the inside finished wall.
joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to joecaption For This Useful Post:
amakarevic (06-04-2012)
Old 06-04-2012, 09:10 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 0

In most cases Y is the thickness of the drywall. If your door has brickmolding attached it'll have to be removed. Then you'll have to come up with a plan to trim the outside. (jamb ext. or something)

Tham
Tham is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Tham For This Useful Post:
amakarevic (06-04-2012)