Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Windows and Doors

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-06-2014, 06:58 PM   #1

Share |

Deadbolt will not retract all the way

Last night when I went to lock my front door I heard a strange clicking noise when I put the lock firmly in place. When I went to unlock the the lock I found that the deadbolt was not fully retracting to allow me to open the door. I took the face off of the lock to investigate but still cannot figure out what is happening. I used a screwdriver to attempt to fully retract the deadbolt but in the unlocked state around 20% of the deadbolt is still in the door making it impossible to open. I've attached some pics to show what's going on.

This is a photo of the lock fully unlocked with a screwdriver

This is the deadbolt still in the door frame even though it is fully in the unlocked position

When I attempt to lock the deadbolt it will only move this far to the left. I assume it is hitting the back of frame and has nowhere else to move.

Does anyone know what is happening and how to fix it? It looks to me like I've somehow reset the fully unlocked position or something. I attempted to push the deadbolt back while it is in the unlocked position but either my needlenose pliers couldn't get a good grip on it or it is stuck, even after I hit it with some graphite lubricant. I should also note I'm in Colorado where it has been in the negative to single temperatures the last couple days in a row. Thanks!

Powell014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 07:23 PM   #2

#1 I see you did not bother to add your location to your profile. Please go back and add it by going to quick links to edit.
No way in the US would someone have texture on a door unless they lost there mind.

Old 02-06-2014, 10:43 PM   #3
DIY Enthusiast

This may give u an idea.
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=QCyqD8tnPpw
sublime2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 05:52 AM   #4
DIY staff

You cold weather may have racked the door frame and is binding the bolt--does it move freely or is the bolt dragging in the hole?

You may need to pry the door up or down to free it up--
Old 02-07-2014, 07:30 AM   #5

Grab the black piece sticking above the rest of the bolt assembly and pivot it towards the hinge side of the jamb. You may need to use a screwdriver to leverage it...if you have much resistance, something probably broke and you'll need a new bolt. Either way, you'll know pretty quickly if the problem is the bolt itself or another issue with the door (binding etc).
jponto07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 10:51 AM   #6

You could also take the hinge pins off so you can get the door off and make it easier to investigate. Once the lock is put back together if it works then great if not i would suggest a new dead bolt.

diyer111 is offline   Reply With Quote