Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Windows and Doors

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-17-2013, 09:00 AM   #1

Share |

Custom Prehung Doors

Need three 32 by 78 interior prehung doors.

Big Box stores have very limited selections,mostly hollow core with split jambs and brass hardware.

I want solid jambs and brushed nickel hinges.

Anyone know of a good website where I might be able to get a decent (under $200 each) price,and made to order solid pine or molded composite doors?

spring3100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 05:17 PM   #2

Custom Prehung Doors

big box stores will not carry a 32 x 78 door in stock-- However you can special order one to your specifications -- dollar amount will not be to much above the STOCK price -- especially when you hit them during a SALE

ramjet_40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 06:26 PM   #3
DIY staff

Custom Prehung Doors

Make a few local calls to millwork and lumber yards---you don't want to have doors shipped over the internet---local---
Old 02-17-2013, 07:16 PM   #4
Retired from the grind

Custom Prehung Doors

You will have to special order them at the store, or through a mill shop, which will cost you more. As for the hardware (hinges, handles), you can buy those off the shelf, the main concern is getting doors that fit the finished, not rough opening size. Keep in mind, Lowe's, Home Depot, Menard's can special order upper end doors and windows direct from the manufacturer. Or you can go to some specialty shop and pay more.

Now if you can find a mill shop that custom manufactures doors in their shop, in any wood material, you WILL pay more, but the workmanship will be better than done through a factory mill line, has a group that may be working on multiple orders, vs. local mill shop, that wold be working on just your order at that time.

The nice thing about our high school Industrial arts class, is that we had access to everything we needed, and there was many times the shop teacher was working on stuff for his home, while we were dong our projects. We had everything from a planer, to a router table, to a large table saw. You name it, we had it in our shop. Did not have a CNC machine, but if he could have gotten one, he would have done so.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 09:18 PM   #5

Custom Prehung Doors

Why don't you just cut it down yourself? If it's a SC door, it doesn't get any easier than that.
mknasa dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 11:13 AM   #6
Not so new

Custom Prehung Doors

Mike had a good suggestion. The lumber
yard I use has a door shop and they'll
make anything I want. Has to be someone
in your area that does it.
12penny is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 01:36 PM   #7

Custom Prehung Doors

A Builders Surplus store happened on the way between the bar and the strip club,lo and behold they have a custom door shop.
They are making 3 molded core doors for me while we speak.
Hopefully Karina won't entice me out of my last hundred so I can pay them cash.
The Following User Says Thank You to spring3100 For This Useful Post:
funfool (02-21-2013)
Old 02-21-2013, 03:14 PM   #8

Custom Prehung Doors

We have a local store here called Pat's doors.
They have good quality doors and can modify or order any custom door or hardware you want. And is just a little higher then the big box stores with twice the quality.

Pat is in his late 60's, is a family run business. Has all 5 of his daughters running the front counter.
Been there 5 times in the last 4 weeks, 9:00 am is coffee and donuts and pretty girls.
Is always 4 or 5 sitting at the counter getting help, is 6 people in line waiting to get to the counter.
Old Pat does ok with those daughters of his
spring3100 (02-21-2013)
Old 02-21-2013, 03:47 PM   #9

Custom Prehung Doors

Quote:
Originally Posted by funfool View Post
We have a local store here called Pat's doors.
They have good quality doors and can modify or order any custom door or hardware you want. And is just a little higher then the big box stores with twice the quality.

Pat is in his late 60's, is a family run business. Has all 5 of his daughters running the front counter.
Been there 5 times in the last 4 weeks, 9:00 am is coffee and donuts and pretty girls.
Is always 4 or 5 sitting at the counter getting help, is 6 people in line waiting to get to the counter.
Old Pat does ok with those daughters of his
Now thats service that makes you smile!!!

All seriousness aside,they're charging me $115 a door,where an online order with a big box is $150 minimum for a solid pine (not my top choice),glad to get the pre primed composite door for much less.

Karina will be so happy i'm giving her the extra money,maybe she'll fly her mother over from Vladivostok,shes dying to see the country!LOL