DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum (http://www.diychatroom.com/)
-   Windows and Doors (http://www.diychatroom.com/f104/)
-   -   a crack on the glass of a window (http://www.diychatroom.com/f104/crack-glass-window-193778/)

french_guy 01-11-2014 07:58 AM

a crack on the glass of a window
 
1 Attachment(s)
Hello
I just noticed this morning there was a crack on one of my windows !!!
Does that mean I have to replace the whole window, or it can be repaired?
Where should I go for this type of repair?

Windows on Wash 01-11-2014 10:32 AM

You will have to replace that sash.

Contact the manufacturer first and see if stress cracks are a covered warranty item.

That is what you have.

Look for the manufacturer's label and serial number in the window head.

ratherbefishing 01-13-2014 03:26 PM

I guess that's one loss due to technology. Now windows are warrantied, high tech, manufactured items (that work very well). Used to be, digging out the glazing compound, removing the points and old glass, replacing the glass and points and putty was a cool DIY project. I remember doing it with my Grandpa and my dad. Ahhh, the old days......

french_guy 01-19-2014 08:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Windows on Wash (Post 1290463)
You will have to replace that sash.

Contact the manufacturer first and see if stress cracks are a covered warranty item.

That is what you have.

Look for the manufacturer's label and serial number in the window head.

What is the average warranty period on vinyl windows?

Tom Struble 01-19-2014 10:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Windows on Wash (Post 1290463)
You will have to replace that sash.

Contact the manufacturer first and see if stress cracks are a covered warranty item.

That is what you have.

Look for the manufacturer's label and serial number in the window head.

there must be a glazing bead no?

joecaption 01-19-2014 03:33 PM

There is no "average" warranty. There all different. Better windows are life time warranty.
If there's several windows I would suspect a bad install job.
To tight and there going to crack.

french_guy 01-19-2014 04:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joecaption (Post 1293738)
There is no "average" warranty. There all different. Better windows are life time warranty.
If there's several windows I would suspect a bad install job.
To tight and there going to crack.

It's only one...and I hope it will be the only one !!!

IslandGuy 02-18-2014 12:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ratherbefishing (Post 1291416)
I guess that's one loss due to technology. Now windows are warrantied, high tech, manufactured items (that work very well). Used to be, digging out the glazing compound, removing the points and old glass, replacing the glass and points and putty was a cool DIY project. I remember doing it with my Grandpa and my dad. Ahhh, the old days......

You mean the old days when you couldn't get anywhere near your windows in winter due to the incredible drafts? The old days when heating oil was .22 cents a gallon? The old days when homes were uninsulated? :whistling2:

atlgator 03-06-2014 09:01 PM

What is the window head? I've got a couple sashes with blown seals that I need to try finding the manufacturer for.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Windows on Wash 03-18-2014 06:43 AM

Window head jamb is where the upper sash shuts into the frame.

Jonathon C. 03-21-2014 08:59 AM

You don't need to replace the whole window, only the glass. Contact the manufacturer or vendor company, from which you purchased the product.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:07 AM.


Copyright 2003-2014 Escalate Media LP. All Rights Reserved