Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Windows and Doors

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-06-2012, 03:18 PM   #1
They're all fixer-uppers

Rewards Points: 500

couple of questions regarding bi-folding closet doors

I have a closet with mirrored sliding doors. I hate the doors. I would most like to install simple, inexpensive bi-folding doors. The bedroom has Jeldwen hallow core doors on it and my local box store sells matching bi-folding doors. There are a couple issues.

for one, the orientation of the closet is directly to the right of the entrance door to the bedroom - exactly like this pic I found on here of another member's closet

That would mean that when the right hand bifolding door was opened, the bedroom door would hit it if opened from the outside. Do you think this will be a practical issue? I guess I could always be careful to knock when entering a closed door room.

For another thing, the closet is 56" wide, finished dimension. The bifolding doors they sell come in 24" 30" and 32". Could I get two 30" doors and cut 2" off each one's width in the middle where they meet? Perhaps removing the support, sanding it and adding it back in like you would the bottom of a hallow core?

J187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 04:40 PM   #2

you can special order custom sizes but takes weeks to come in. the sliding doors corrected the door hitting problem. depending on whats on the other side of that door could u remove it and rehang it to swing in

princelake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 09:00 AM   #3
They're all fixer-uppers

Quote:
Originally Posted by princelake View Post
you can special order custom sizes but takes weeks to come in. the sliding doors corrected the door hitting problem. depending on whats on the other side of that door could u remove it and rehang it to swing in
I'm guessing you mean to swing out? Thanks for the idea, but that will not be possible in this instance.
Old 03-07-2012, 09:13 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,990

Just reframe the opening for 2, 24" doors. That will give you 4" on each side. for the drywall, and leave you with a 48" opening, more then enough room to get inside the closit.
If your closit is framed the way that one is you would have to reframe it anyway.
Your going to have to cut out the sheetrock on the wall and ceiling to be able to attach the framing and add blocking.
http://www.homeadditionplus.com/fram...ifold-Door.htm

Last edited by joecaption; 03-07-2012 at 09:17 AM.
joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 01:09 PM   #5
They're all fixer-uppers

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
Just reframe the opening for 2, 24" doors. That will give you 4" on each side. for the drywall, and leave you with a 48" opening, more then enough room to get inside the closit.
If your closit is framed the way that one is you would have to reframe it anyway.
Your going to have to cut out the sheetrock on the wall and ceiling to be able to attach the framing and add blocking.
http://www.homeadditionplus.com/fram...ifold-Door.htm
I would have no trouble reframing the closet - I've done this before in fact. I was hesitant to shorten the opening to an already small closet. But I guess It may not be so bad if I leave the inside of the closet the same width it is now.
Old 03-12-2012, 10:01 AM   #6
They're all fixer-uppers

I'm still really unsure about this. I'd love some various opinions - if it were you, would putting in a bifold door be an issue with the bedroom door being in the way when both might be open?
Old 03-12-2012, 01:26 PM   #7
Ole Wood Worker

Rewards Points: 2,256

Bi-fold doors will hit, double doors will only be pushed closed when the bedroom door is opened.

Stop by and vote for member of the month:
http://www.diychatroom.com/f2/vote-n...4/#post1414192

Jim
BigJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 03:12 PM   #8
They're all fixer-uppers

I think what I might want to do is keep what I have - which are mirrored sliding doors. The reason I wanted to get rid of them are

[IMG][/IMG]

A. I hate the way the cheap metal top part looks
B. They fall of the track a lot and stick - this I think is because the height when they were installed is SLIGHTLY off because of the carpet.

What I think I will do:

Retrim and case the whole closet. Add some kind of molding or trim to hide that top metal part entirely.
Tear up the carpet, refinish the hardwoods and readjust the tracks.
Old 03-12-2012, 06:44 PM   #9

i'd adjust the doors, theres screws on the back side at the top, they should not be falling off the track. if you really wanted to hide the top metal valance i'd take down the closet doors and take the top and bottom track off and move it to the back of the jamb and then nail/screw on a piece of mdf painted white. you can cut designs in it or add a chair rail molding or what you like, you can get creative. for attaching the piece of mdf i'd add small angle brackets so you can screw it up. the only issue with this whole thing is if the carpet was cut at the bottom track or if it was placed on the carpet it might be a little discolored.

princelake is offline   Reply With Quote