Cost To Install A New Window - Windows and Doors - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Windows and Doors

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-28-2012, 03:20 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

cost to install a new window

I'm a new homeowner and I want to cutout and install a brand new window to bring in more light to the room. How much would a standard size window cost from beginning to end?

Fanx.

Advertisement

Johandsome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 03:53 PM   #2
Exterior Construction

Rewards Points: 3,232

Answer the following questions and we can narrow it down:

- what is the exterior wall made of
- is there any electrical, mechanical, utilities, or plumbing in the wall
- what area of the country are you in and do you know if the permits and engineering fees are high
- what kind of window were you considering (material and operator type)
- how big and opening
- what floor and access

Pricing can be all over the place on this type of project.

Advertisement

Windows on Wash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 04:14 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

Thanks for the response. I will find out all of these details once I'm really ready to install, so for now just to get an idea of the cost I'll give you my best guesses.

-wall is made of concrete blocks it appears.
-no electrical, plumbing or the like.
-I live in Asheville, NC. I don't know the costs of permits and such so let's just say average.
-It's on the ground level "basement" which is above ground.
-materials I'm unsure of but I just want a stand size basic window to bring in light to my art studio. Let's say 50"x35".

Let me know if you need more info.

I appreciate the help.

Thanks.
Johandsome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 05:30 PM   #4
Home Performance

Rewards Points: 590

This may be a silly question given that this is a DIY site, but are you asking for the price a a window alone that you will then install?... Or the price for an "installed" window in those conditions?
A decent window will be a minimum of about $200 (could be much higher depending on options, material, etc). Installed, the project that you are describing is a bit more "advanced" given the cut-in into block. Could go anywhere from the $1-$2k range or higher depending on additional details.
Old 08-28-2012, 05:39 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 75

It sounds like there is currently no window there, is that correct? You are talking about cutting into the foundation if I understand your description. Cutting a 50" wide opening in a foundation is going to be an issue with structural integrity. You would probably need to add a steel member of some kind to reinforce the top of the window and keep the house where it's supposed to be, meaning not in the basement. How many stories are there above the basement level?

You will definitely need an engineer to spec this out and let you know what code will allow. There is usually a maximum window width for foundations, and the windows are usually at the top of the wall so the window isn't supporting any of the weight of the block. As long as the sill ledger is strong, you can do a 3' opening without too much difficulty. Having a window in the middle of the wall, like a normal upstairs window is more difficult. I would say that it would be much more likely that you could do two smaller windows with a reasonable space between.

Almost anything is possible, but the cost of the window is going to be an after thought compared to the rest if you want a 50" wide window in the middle of your foundation.

LMHmedchem

Last edited by LMHmedchem; 08-28-2012 at 05:41 PM.
LMHmedchem is offline   Reply With Quote