Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Windows and Doors

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-03-2012, 08:01 PM   #1

Share |

Cost for Andersen windows!

Hi,

I know this is a DIY forum and my question is about the opposite of DIY but I thought you guys would have enough experience to know if I'm making a terrible mistake.

I had a guy from Renewal by Andersen in to do me a quote to replace some windows and a sliding door and we agreed on a price but as soon as he left I freaked myself out thinking I'd gotten myself a terrible rip off price.

The total cost is $20,600 for:

1x 'PermaShield Sliding Patio Door' (5'10" x 6'8")
8x Double Hung Equal Sash windows
1x 2 Lite Gliding Window

These are just insert installations I think, the easy kind, and they are HP Low E-4 White/White Andersen windows.

Is this a reasonable price? Is it crazy high? Can I do it myself for vastly less? It just seems like so much money for so little. I didn't really know who to ask for advice about this so I turned to a DIY forum to beg for some pity help!

apenney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 08:20 PM   #2

And how many other quotes did you get?
No one here can see you house so no one's going to be of much help.
Does that include wraping the trim on the outside?

Just my opion but that price does sound off the charts.

Why would you not just order the replacement windows and install them your self? Unless I'm missing something it's a very DIY job with just simple hand tools.

joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 08:22 PM   #3

It was including the wrapping. It was mostly ignorance, I've never tackled something like a window and it sounded hard and complicated to me. I'm a fairly new house owner. I'm cancelling the order first thing tomorrow via certified mail and we'll start over again. I was pricing up the door, windows, etc on andersens website and it was more like $7k with their retail prices so I can't imagine this is worth anything like $20k. I think I was just foolish, but thank god for cooling off periods.

The sales guy felt that they were all easy installs and wouldn't need stripping down to the basics so maybe I can tackle it myself with some hand tools.

Edit: I'm not going to lie, I left out the reply to the quote bit because we both know I rushed in foolishly without multiple quotes. The weird thing is I'm normally pretty sensible on this front so I don't know what the hell came over me. A jedi mind trick by the sales guy or just a desperate desire to eat the pizza that was on my counter and smelling so good by the end of his blurb!
Old 08-03-2012, 08:29 PM   #4
Retired from the grind

A lot of the pricing is labor. Then add in what they charge for removal and disposal of the old units.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 08:43 PM   #5

I would be calling some local siding companys or contractors for this, Never a place like Lowes or Home Depot.

I've had to go up againt companys like Pella, all the boxstores, and it just blows me away some of the prices they come up with and the shoddy work I've seen.
Old 08-03-2012, 08:49 PM   #6

I think that's what I'll do. Really the biggest reason to change the windows is to enable AC units in them. I've always assumed AC would be impossible to retrofit in (finished basement, no attic), but when I'm getting $20,000 quotes it makes me reconsider what they could do with an AC fit.
Old 08-03-2012, 10:03 PM   #7

Post some pictures of the outside and inside of the windows.
There's just no way to DIY the wrapping of the windows, but no reason you could not install the replacement windows.
You get them wrapped first then install the windows in most cases.
There installed from the inside, and all you'll need is a hammer, flat bar or better yet a real trim bar, (It's a thin flat pry bar) caulking gun,some latex caulking ( I figure on 3/4 tube per window.) a putty knife, utility knife, cordless impact screw gun or drill, long philips bit.
Old 08-03-2012, 10:32 PM   #8
Home Performance

Price is out of line IMO. If you want to have them professionally installed, you could be in the $400's for a basic install and a good product with bare bones options, or up into the $800, $900 + range with a very complicated install and Cadillac option content. Proper installation is a little bit more involved than it may look, however it certainly can be done DIY if you have some skill and the proper tools/equipment.
Old 08-03-2012, 10:57 PM   #9
Home Performance

I'd also add that at 10 yrs, the warranty on that product is one of the worst that you'll find.
Old 08-03-2012, 11:09 PM   #10

http://www.complaintsboard.com/compl...ows-c6796.html

This is just one of many websites with complants about Anderson windows.
I've personaly had to replace every window in two differant homes and at least 6 bottom sashes in other home all with the same problum. The bottom sash just rots out. All where just out of warrenty.
When you talk to Anderson they claim they've never heard of any problums.

If you Google something like Pella window complants, there's thousand of people ready to go shot someone there so mad.
Old 08-04-2012, 07:27 AM   #11

Get some more quotes from other companies & contractors and compare. What kind of windows, wood, vinyl? Any decorative glass options? Location? Test positive for lead?

We just had 12 vinyl windows (2 casement, one picture window, 9 double hung) installed in our home for less than half that quote, argon filled triple pane, Low-E, premium windows with different trim inside/out, U-factor 0.21 and SHGC 0.25, lifetime transferable warranty. So, for my area your quote is very high if it's a straight-forward replacement and comparable in type/quality to what we purchased. Even if we'd tested positive for lead paint, it was only going to be $30-$60 extra per window depending on the contractor (luckily we didn't test positive).

Last edited by Pianolady; 08-04-2012 at 07:36 AM.
Pianolady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 08:37 AM   #12
Exterior Construction

I would recommend that you figure out what you want (i.e. wood, fiberglass, vinyl, etc) and work backwards from there.
Windows on Wash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 09:59 AM   #13

Location: Minneapolis/St. Paul, Minnesota - Latitude 45.057 Longitude -93.074

Most problems with new or replacement windows are with the incompetent, amateur installation that shows up before the owners realizes the minimal R-value increases have not really shown up.

Dick
concretemasonry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 10:27 AM   #14

I'm working on one now that was done years ago for an older lady.
My guess is someone mismeasured one of the windows becauses there's an 1-1/2 gap at the top of one of them, they never even tryed to use the head piece that comes with the window.
Everyone of then is set about a 1/4" from the stool and there's no caulking around the outside or inside.
Some are set so tight you can not even open them.
Looks like another slam bang thank you mame job.
All replacement window replacement 101 mistakes.
Old 08-07-2012, 03:31 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by apenney View Post
Hi,

The total cost is $20,600 for:

1x 'PermaShield Sliding Patio Door' (5'10" x 6'8")
8x Double Hung Equal Sash windows
1x 2 Lite Gliding Window
RUN, don't walk away from this price quote. Complete and utter rip off!

$21k for 9 window replacements & 1 door?

That's $2,200 per window. Completely absurd. Plus they are vinyl white windows, insert replacements and sliders to boot, the cheapest style around.

I guarantee you the sales guy is making a killing on this job, as is Anderson.

This is about $10k + overpriced

Last edited by JackOfAllTrades; 08-07-2012 at 03:33 AM.
JackOfAllTrades is offline   Reply With Quote