Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Windows and Doors

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-01-2012, 09:40 AM   #1

Share |

condensation

I have a single window about 3ft square, in the living room of an old farmhouse. It's a hinged single-glass paned "door" and nearly airtight. I framed out a plexi panel about 6 inches behind it for insulation purposes and that's pretty tight too. Lots of moisture gathers on the inside of the plexi with no moisture on the "interior" paned door. Is there a way to prevent all that moisture inside the "pocket" I created. The only real issue with it is that we frequently can't see through it. Thanks.

kentannenbaum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 08:12 AM   #2
Exterior Construction

condensation

Tighten up the interior panel or loosen up the exterior panel.

Moisture is getting through to the outside panel and condensing (obviously). You need to lessen the moisture getting through or give it a path out (via air circulation) once it does.

Windows on Wash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 08:36 AM   #3

condensation

I'll give it a look. The inside paned window is a tightly hinged door and the plexiglas I installed last week those 6 inches away is glued to a frame I made with tight tolerances and crack/peal weatherstripping along all the edges. It's that outside "window" I'd much rather loosen up and am guessing it's on the upper side I ought to do it as that's where it's protected from the northeast elements where I'm located. Perhaps removing the weatherstripping along the top side will do it. Anyway, thanks for the tip. Much appreciated!
kentannenbaum is offline   Reply With Quote