Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Windows and Doors

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-09-2012, 05:06 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |
Unhappy

Concave Pella Windows melting my siding! **PICS**

Hello everyone! I'm new to the forum and need some window help.

The problem is that my neighbor's double pane Pella windows are concave and the resulting concentrated reflection is melting my vinyl siding.

The same thing is happening to my other neighbor's siding from the concave Pella windows installed in my home. They've only been in their house for a year and have replaced their siding twice, and it has already melted a third time!

I'm not sure why the windows are so concave, but if I place a 2' straight edge across the window, there is an 1/8" gap from the straight edge to the glass in the middle. Over the full length of the window the gap is even greater.

I've tried working with Pella to find a solution and they have not been helpful at all.

I think that the least expensive solution to this problem is to install screens on the outside of the concave Pella windows to reduce the amount of energy reflected onto the siding. The problem is that these are single hung windows and are not designed for a screen on the upper part of the window.

Is there a good way to attach a screen on the outside of the single hung windows?

Here are some photos of the problem...

Last edited by jjjdiy; 11-09-2012 at 05:33 PM.
jjjdiy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 05:21 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 88

30 years in the business and I'd never even heard of this until just recently.
Just love it when the siding company says it's there fault, the window company says it there fault.
Luckely I've only see it and not had to deal with it.
Just thinking out loud, why not try a solor film. Simple to install, easy to remove if it does not work.

I would contact 3M directly and talk to there R & D Department.
It would be a great nitch market for them.
http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3...3BA0csC2jxsmWE

joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 05:38 PM   #3

Thanks for the quick reply.

I've contacted a commercial window tinting company and they were not aware of any coatings that would reduced the reflected energy. They said that the coatings are generally designed to keep energy out of the building by reflecting it. They said that any additional coatings would just make the problem worse.

The reason I'm looking at a screen is that the bottom portions of the windows have screens and the heat from the concentrated reflection is significantly reduced. I can place my hand in the reflection from the lower screened portion and it's barely warm. If I put my hand in the reflected light from the upper portion it's very hot.

If I could somehow attach some screens in a secure way, I think it would help tremendously.
jjjdiy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 06:23 PM   #4
Mod

Rewards Points: 56

Sorry to here about your problem but at this time Ive heard of no worthy solutions and I've been following this for a few years now. The siding, window and glass manufactures are aware of the problem but remain pretty tight lipped due to the potential huge liability. Im sure at some point a class action suit will be works but who knows when and whos to blame.

There have actually been a few fires attributed to this with cedar products.

This is one of the better reads I've found on the subject. http://www.greenbuildingadvisor.com/...t-vinyl-siding

Please keep us posted.
Old 11-09-2012, 07:20 PM   #5
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 28

This was discussed at Contractor Talk---If Tom Struble or Lone Framer see this---perhaps they might shed some light on the subject----As I recall there was not a solution--only a discussion.
Old 11-09-2012, 07:44 PM   #6
Haverhill Trade 1965

Short of putting a mirror on the side of your house this is a tough one. I may call my brother in law who was a physicist. If he doesn't have an answer, that takes at least an hour, maybe Pella needs a class action suit.
Duckweather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 07:48 PM   #7
Haverhill Trade 1965

Hey, who owns the two windows that are not in the photo of the reflection? Are we looking at two different houses?
Duckweather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 06:34 AM   #8
Exterior Construction

Rewards Points: 78

I have personally observed this on several homes in this area on adjacent garage walls.

First thing would be to get a window that was not concave. After that, you can attempt any of the following:

• Put the low-e on surface 3 vs. surface 2
  • Get a solar control film on the outside surface
  • Specify internal mini blinds
  • Obscure glass
  • Skip the Low-e
Paging Oberon......
Windows on Wash is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Windows on Wash For This Useful Post:
rossfingal (11-10-2012)
Old 11-10-2012, 06:55 AM   #9

Rewards Points: 2

Just to add to what "WoW" says -
It's not just - "Pella" windows doing this!

rossfingal
rossfingal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 07:12 AM   #10

I've seen it happen from the sun reflecting off of a boats wind shield that was parked in the driveway.
It was between the first and second floor and there is no house next door.
Another one had Anderson windows.

The type film I'm talking about I think is called a solor screen. It does not reflect the light.
If you looked at it close it looks like tiny round holes in a black piece of film.
You can still see out the window but it reduces the glare.
Works the same as the films you may have seen covering whole vehichles to advertize a business.
I was wonder if that would make the window refract the light instead of reflecting it.
Old 11-10-2012, 08:42 AM   #11

how about a different siding. and/or some trees/bushes.
Fix'n it is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 05:14 PM   #12

Rewards Points: 12

Seems like a window issue to me. But the window manufacturer isn't going to admit it. I am sure there are ways to keep the glass flatter --- thicker glass, spacers between the glass,....)
But since your siding is toast anyways (might be a poor choice of words), the easiest solution might be to replace your siding with something that can take the heat.
SPS-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 05:26 PM   #13
bbo

seems as if the owner of the window is responsible ( and window owner would see about holding window manufacturer repnsible)

no different than mounting a magnifying glass on your house.

I'd say the windows would have to get replaced. looks like a high concentration of energy on the siding.
bbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 05:47 PM   #14

Rewards Points: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbo View Post
seems as if the owner of the window is responsible ( and window owner would see about holding window manufacturer repnsible)
I agree, but what is the neighbor going to do, keep replacing the window untill he finds one that stays straight? I don't think any dealer is going to guarantee that their window will not create intensified reflections (potential liability issues with all his other customers that are complaining, if he admits a bowed window is grounds for a replacement), so if the next window does the same thing, he would have to replace it again, probably on his own nickel. You risk just starting a war with your neighbor. And since the siding has to be replaced anyways, find something that will take the heat (although I am not sure exactly what that would be).

Last edited by SPS-1; 11-10-2012 at 05:52 PM.
SPS-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 05:51 PM   #15

Hardee planks come to mind.