Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Windows and Doors

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-19-2012, 06:06 PM   #1

Share |

Composite exterior door - stain peeling!

Hi,
Our composite material front entry door is about a year old and was stained brown less than a year ago (we closed in July 2011, so it was probably stained in April, May, or June...cant remember). This morning I noticed the stain is peelings in various areas. I didnt notice this until today and certainly not during our "winter", if you could call it truly winter. Anyway, I am curious what is causing the peeling, and also if anyone thinks we might be able to look to the contractor for help with it.
Thank you!

darthsmozers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 08:10 PM   #2
Windows & Remodeling

Most stain finishes have a warranty for a good 5 or 10 years, so you should be able to take advantage of that. That is assuming that this was a factory stain finish. If it was done on-site by your contractor, there will be no manufacturer warranty, only whatever was specified by him/her... I'd definitely make the installer the first point of contact.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

HomeSealed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 01:58 AM   #3

Never heard of a composite door, sure it's not fiberglass?
It's rare to see a stain peel, more likly someone tryed using poly over the stain, which should not have been done.
Any Fiberglass door I've seen is stained with Gel stain.
joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 09:39 AM   #4
Windows & Remodeling

I assume that "composite" is being used interchangeably with fiberglass. I've seen a few factory stain finishes wear through and/or peel around the door knob where it gets a lot of contact.

HomeSealed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 06:39 PM   #5

Fiberglass may be the correct term, sorry.
The peeling looks very random .... Mostly on the little "shelf" that is affixed beneath the window at the top of the door, but some on the main face of the door as well.
darthsmozers is offline   Reply With Quote