Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Windows and Doors

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-26-2013, 11:34 AM   #1

Share |

Completely disappointed with Jeld-Wen doors at Home Depot (pics)

Swung by the Depot last night to pick up a trio of 30" x 80" bedroom doors. My house is being turned into a rental, so not getting anything fancy. Just the $63 6-panel hollow core doors. I've bought them in the past, nothing great, but, manageable.

There were 6 doors. I started looking through them. All the doors had over half the casing staples shot at in at a horrible anging, sticking out 1/8" - 1/4". Some doors had cracked casing. Another door had a 3" x 1" chip taking off the bottom of the door face.

I finally found what I thought to be one last "good enough" door. Laid it down on my cart, then realized a blind man had attached banana shaped casing. At that point I just walked away.

Is this that common, or just a bad batch of doors? I realize they are only $63, but, come on. I'd prefer to just find pre-hung doors with a flat jamb, and just put my own casing on, but I haven't seen them around.

Dave88LX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 01:26 PM   #2
Architectural Sculptor

Jen-weld sux, Ive seen their windows at Menards- just dumped on the shelf, stapled and glued together construction, slapped up with flat white primer.

I bought a solid pine panel door from Menards for about $99, it is made well and looks good. I had to trim an inch off the bottom, I could see how it was made- small pieces of solid lumber glued together and the good face veneers laminated on all sides, no particle board, you really can't tell it's not a refinished restored antique door of this type.
The hollow doors are just garbage, two thin sheets of plywood over cardboard spacer strips inside.
Pretty sure mine was Mastercraft brand, prehung and predrilled for the knobs.

Last edited by RWolff; 06-26-2013 at 01:32 PM.
RWolff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 07:52 AM   #3

I wish we had Menards around here; I've heard a lot of good things about them.
Dave88LX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 01:11 PM   #4

I usually end up removing their cheese-ball 2-1/2" casings and re-trimming with my own stock. Their doors are cheap, which my customers like, but their casings suck. Often times their staples are shot so deep that they hardly hold, and their miters are usually so wide you could drive a truck through them.
Davejss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 02:57 PM   #5
Is this wire Hot?

I'm with you, dude! I spent good money on a custom order door at HD and it was put together cheap as crap. The casing was put on with staples and half of them were not sunk into the trim and were very visible after finishing the door. You just can't get anything quality any more unless you make it yourself. Sad.
Oh-Fudge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 11:36 PM   #6

When I replaced all the doors in my house, I went with slabs because my existing trim was better than the crap used on the pre-hung doors.

If you want/need to go with pre-hungs, I'd do what Davejss said and go with all new casings.
ConstantChange is offline   Reply With Quote