Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Windows and Doors

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-22-2009, 10:04 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 25

Comparing Replacement Windows

I've purchased a 90 year old house with double-hung single panes windows, storm windows on the outside. I'm thinking of getting replacement windows, either installing them myself (never done it before) or paying someone to do the installation. I will be getting windows that qualify for the tax credit no matter what. I live in southern New England.

I find it confusing trying to compare, but here's what I've found so far:

Home Depot offers DIY install American Craftsman vinyl, double-paned, argon filled basic windows for $210. I suspect this model is the contractor's special. If I arrange for a Home Depot installation, it's $350 to put in an AC 12 window that has a thinner frame, which felt flimsy in the store.

Lowe's offers DIY install Pella Thermastar vinyl, double-paned, no argon windows for $250. Lowe's installation for these windows is an additional $100 per. To get "sun defense" treated glass and argon is an extra $30-50 per.

A company that has done work on my street offers installation of Alside vinyl windows, but the minimum order is 10 windows. I could get double-paned, .30 rating windows installed for $325 per, or triple-paned, .21 rating windows installed for $350 per.

Any recommendations? I plan on contacting more window companies.

Amycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 01:33 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 10

As you are not experienced in window installation suggest you paya professional to install for you.

The reason: Windows seal your house from the weather, they provide ventilation and light basically they are an integral part of a living space.

To have the windows leak water, draw wind and possibly not function correctly, will be more costly for you to repair later, let alone put up with the potential problems!

Do you get a foot doctor to check your faulty heart because its cheaper!!

davethebuilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 05:50 AM   #3

Would you say that putting a bead of caulk around the window's exterior is necessary, to create a seal between the window and the house, is necessary? That would require me to get a ladder, if I did the installation myself. However, I haven't heard anyone say that this is included in a paid-for installation.
Old 08-23-2009, 05:56 AM   #4
Lic. Builder/GC/Remodeler

Rewards Points: 2,000

I'd suggest staying away from the American Craftsman windows for this particular installation. They are lower quality windows. They serve a purpose; for projects on a lower-end budget.

My Solid suggestion, is to find a reputable, experienced, and Licensed Contractor to do the installations. Follow thru on all the checks, refences, background, etc...

I suggest this "over" using any Big Home Improvement Store - Service installations for a number of reasons.

Here are a few of the reasons:

1. An independent Licensed Contractor will provide you with a higher quality installation.

2. Hiring an independant Licensed Contractor will provide better reassurance, that the installation will be done correctly.

The Big Home Improvement Store "contractors" are paid by the Window Installation. That means they rush the jobs, to do the installationj as quickly as possible, to increase their profit margin. They are less likely to inform you of issues during the installation, and are more likely, to "skip over" and "ignore" problems, in order to get the work down, and get paid.
Additionally, many of the Big Box - installers (laborers) are paid less, and thus have less experience (sometimes even none), when it comes to proper window installation, and carpentry skills.
By paying the workers less, the experience and skill level of work force (installers) = goes down.

3. An Independant Licensed Contractor will take the job more personally, and there will be a higher level of pride, and workmanship.
Workmanship, Craftsmanship, & Carpentry details, are a big issue (lack of those points), when it comes to the Big Box Store window installations = and that's a fact.

Also:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amycat View Post
Any recommendations?
Simonton makes a very good window. Quality at a reasonable price.

Company link: http://www.simonton.com/

Quote:
I plan on contacting more window companies.
Good, you should do that.

Here are some Web Links, in connection with the points being disussed in this Thread:

More information (in a nutshell) on the Federal Energy Tax Credits to installing New Windows. I am primarily posting this link for the benefit of members and readers that are not familiar with this Gvt program:

http://www.americanchronicle.com/articles/view/108223

List of the Major Window Manufacturers:

http://www.replacement-windows.com/t...ufacturers.php

Good Luck!
AtlanticWBConst. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 08:33 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 77

Before you take the step of replacing your windows, I might ask why you want to change them?

Are the old ones in very poor shape?
oberon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 09:03 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by oberon View Post
Before you take the step of replacing your windows, I might ask why you want to change them?

Are the old ones in very poor shape?

They are double hung, single pane, with storm windows. Almost all the windows open to their intended maximum with a thunk or two. But most are loose, rattly, and they they are not going to help much for keeping my heating bills low.They also just plain look ugly with all the old paint on the mullions.
Old 08-23-2009, 09:40 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 2,000

Big box windows tend to be inexpensive and "cheap", not somehting you will be happy with over the long haul, and their installation is often below par. For better quality, check a local lumberyard, they generally represent better windows. You don't say where you are located, but I have been installing replacement windows by Viwinco for probably 20 yrs. Excellent product, excellent service if needed, a warranty that will probably be there if needed. Too many replacement window companies are long gone and their 'lifetime' warranties with them.

Look for windows with a glass U factor of <.29, the lower the number the better. That qualifies for the government tax credit for 2009.

You will get a lot of sale pressure that the windows will pay for themselves in savings. That is partially true, but it will take a long time. A quality window properly installed sealing air spaces and gaps, will probaly save you 25-30% over your old single glazed windows. Do the math, if you have a 25% saving on your fuel bill and it is $1000 for the year, the savings is $250. Not chicken feed, but for 10 windows costing $4000-6000 total, you can see it will take a while to "pay for themselves". The bigest sales point is this, your home will be quieter, and more comfortable, since cold drafts are nearly eliminated. Furniture/rug fading due to suns UV rays is reduced by about 90%.

Last edited by Just Bill; 08-23-2009 at 09:47 AM.
Just Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 09:58 AM   #8

I am in Rhode Island. Winters are not as cold as where I grew up in Maine but there are still 4 seasons.

I'm fairly sure that I want to pay someone for installation -- probably little is absolutely true in the window frames, and the stops could probably be replaced entirely. I will go with a reputable brand of window rather than a fly-by-night operation. I'm still finding it hard to compare apples to apples -- each company (Anderson, Pella, Simonton, Alside, etc.) seems to have different models with different features at different costs. The trick will be finding an installer with a good reputation I guess.

The company that quoted me $350 per window for a minimum of 10 would be installing Alside triple-glazed with a U factor of .21.

I'm seeing models described as "welded" and "mechanical" sash/frame. Does mechanical means screwed together? I'm assuming welded is better.
Old 08-23-2009, 08:27 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 77

Quote:
They are double hung, single pane, with storm windows. Almost all the windows open to their intended maximum with a thunk or two. But most are loose, rattly, and they they are not going to help much for keeping my heating bills low.They also just plain look ugly with all the old paint on the mullions.

Are you looking at full frame replacements or inserts?

Are you thinking about vinyl, wood, or fiberglass for sash/frame material?

I would suggest that before you invest in replacement windows it might be worth while to look at other areas that may need energy performance upgrade before you invest in new windows.

As Just Bill pointed out, replacing your current windows with a cheap replacement might end up costing you a good bit more than not replacing your windows at all.
oberon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 08:55 PM   #10

I am interested in vinyl replacement not full frame.

The house has a good layer of cellulose blown into the attic. Windows will be the biggest heat losers.
Old 08-23-2009, 09:17 PM   #11
old man

Rewards Points: 10

Here is a company that has excellent reviews and great customer sevice
http://www.gorell.com/index.htm
old man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 11:19 AM   #12
long island, NY

Rewards Points: 250

When I asked 3 different highly regarded siding and window people to give us estimates on our home... all three insisted on installing andersen windows.

For the tax credit, however, only the andersen 400 windows with the UV coated glass ("sunglass") qualify.

Other than those (fairly expensive windows) and Marvin (even more $$), Pella were the only ones they'd consider....

hope this helps....
diy'er on LI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 04:35 AM   #13

I met with the guy who runs the company that installs the Alside windows. He charges $325 per window to install a double-glazed (.30) and $350 per window to install triple glazed (.21).

I'm going to get an estimate from another local company that I think uses Harvey or Simonton windows.
Old 08-27-2009, 11:56 AM   #14
Remodeling Contractor

Rewards Points: 150

Quote:
I met with the guy who runs the company that installs the Alside windows. He charges $325 per window to install a double-glazed (.30) and $350 per window to install triple glazed (.21).

I'm going to get an estimate from another local company that I think uses Harvey or Simonton windows.
I have personally installed the Harvey units for about 15 years.Their service dept.has been very responsive on the few callbacks that I've had.
oldfrt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 08:48 PM   #15

Rewards Points: 75

Quote:
I am interested in vinyl replacement not full frame.

The house has a good layer of cellulose blown into the attic. Windows will be the biggest heat losers.

I"d stay away from Pella THerma Star windows. They use double sided tape to hold in their glass. Not a good sealled system. Also, paper thin exterior glazing stops, weep holes in frames -idea for bug nests, jamb screw adjustment -there are much better windows than Pella why do people think they make a good product- it's average at best.
For vinyl window companies:
Siminton
Allside
Great Lakes
Silver Line 9500/8500 Series

Vinyl is vinyl (plastic)any way-most companies are here today and gone tomorrow- be sure to buy a national brand name-most vinyl companies claim to have the best window- when most are the same- oh yeah watch and read the fine print on warranties - good luck-
I like Marvin and Andersen Insert Windows as replacements- wood for the most part will last longer and you can get parts for most -good luck-

EMILY P is offline   Reply With Quote