Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping


Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Windows and Doors

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 04-01-2011, 04:49 PM   #1
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 7
Share |
Default

Clopay Garage door question


Yesterday morning, one of the 2 torsion springs broke, I have removed the broken one and also safely unwound the good one, I want to replace both springs, I measured both springs laying on the garage floor, the springs were relaxed and one measures 39" and the other measures 29", is this normal to have 2 different sizes, I also have the inside dimensions of 1 3/4 and wire size of 2253, most sites show basic sizes up to 31", any thoughts on the two different lengths, Thanks........Dan
Bull-37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 08:00 PM   #2
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 9,876
Default

Clopay Garage door question


I think you need to weigh the door on a bathroom scale to find the proper springs and their ratings.

Gary
__________________
Clothes taking longer to dry?
Clean the dryer screen in HOT water if using fabric softener sheets.
They leave a residue that impedes air-flow, costing you money.
Clean the ducting in the last six months? 17,000 dryer fires annually!
Gary in WA is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Gary in WA For This Useful Post:
Thurman (04-03-2011)
Old 04-06-2011, 03:57 PM   #3
Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 1
Default

Clopay Garage door question


Hi, Dan.

One of our Clopay engineers saw your question and wanted to respond.

1. Yes, it is normal. What it matters is the combined torque from both springs that generates sufficient power to lift the door. It doesn't have to be equal, one may contribute 40% and the other contributes 60%.
2. The length of the spring is designed to meet certain cycle life of door operation. They can be anywhere from 20" to 45" long in most of the residential applications.

If you have any further questions please feel free to call our customer service dept. at 800-225-6729 or use the live chat feature on our web site at www.clopaydoor.com.
ClopayDoors is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The 12-Gauge Garage Jack Olsen Project Showcase 28 07-08-2012 10:21 PM
Clopay Garage Door weight ??? zman22 Carpentry 2 01-04-2011 03:41 PM
Clopay (H.D.) Garage Door SPS-1 General DIY Discussions 2 09-26-2010 05:01 PM
Garage Wiring issues jimmyfloyd Electrical 20 06-08-2009 02:57 PM




Top of Page | View New Posts

Copyright © 2003-2014 Escalate Media. All Rights Reserved.