DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum (
-   Windows and Doors (
-   -   Clopay Garage door question (

Bull-37 04-01-2011 04:49 PM

Clopay Garage door question
Yesterday morning, one of the 2 torsion springs broke, I have removed the broken one and also safely unwound the good one, I want to replace both springs, I measured both springs laying on the garage floor, the springs were relaxed and one measures 39" and the other measures 29", is this normal to have 2 different sizes, I also have the inside dimensions of 1 3/4 and wire size of 2253, most sites show basic sizes up to 31", any thoughts on the two different lengths, Thanks........Dan

Gary in WA 04-02-2011 08:00 PM

I think you need to weigh the door on a bathroom scale to find the proper springs and their ratings.


ClopayDoors 04-06-2011 03:57 PM

Clopay Garage Door Question
Hi, Dan.

One of our Clopay engineers saw your question and wanted to respond.

1. Yes, it is normal. What it matters is the combined torque from both springs that generates sufficient power to lift the door. It doesn't have to be equal, one may contribute 40% and the other contributes 60%.
2. The length of the spring is designed to meet certain cycle life of door operation. They can be anywhere from 20" to 45" long in most of the residential applications.

If you have any further questions please feel free to call our customer service dept. at 800-225-6729 or use the live chat feature on our web site at

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:57 PM.

vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1